Seagulls & Salcombe

Landed in Salcombe for a couple of days and wanted to get some drone footage …

Absolutely no way….

Found a lovely quiet spot on the edge of the estuary …I had a seat …solid level ground for take off and lots of satellites …no wind …

Took off …went up about 30 foot and out about 50 yards …. Ffs the screeching started and half a dozen gulls started circling it and getting close to it … evasive action taken then …up , down , left , right …even flew at the beggars but as I was over water I brought it back …landed it and saw the offending gulls all sitting watching me … waited a bit … took off again … swoosh …in the beggars came again … tried once more but not a hope …

Arghhhhhhh

Salcombe = Tourists = F’n’C (etc.) shops.

My “theory” gains weight.

The ones in Bournemouth ignore me ….

But when you’re there you’re not a tourist. They know, you know!

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Get a large bag of chips and throw them one way, fly in the opposite direction. They will be too busy scrapping over the chips to notice the drone. :rofl:

2 Likes

Same thing happened to me one early morning in Tenby, you can’t risk it over water :flying_saucer:

Whilst these guys were aggressive they didn’t actually hit the drone … Had anyone had them actually down their drone?

Day 2 … didn’t even get 50 yards …dive bombed by about a dozen of the buggers …. I will take Salcombe off the DroneScene list I think …

Same problem I have here in Blackpool. I live a mile or so inland close to a large lake and ironically have more problems with gulls than when flying on the prom. A solution I have heard of previously, and which I employed successfully, is to fly higher, they then rapidly loose interest until you come back to land.