Seagulls will be the death of my drone

And the little barsteds are everywhere including Spitzbergen (Svalbard) !

That’s only 600 miles from the ferkin’ North Pole !!

4 Likes

:laughing:

OK,Seagulls,now you meet your match !!! I am going to sea how the little barstewards fair against this one.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::laughing:

6 Likes

Tony, It will “rain” Seagull shit when that goes up !!:poop::poop::poop:

3 Likes

Chris,the only problem i may have ,is transporting it…or not! :laughing::laughing::rofl:

Na no problem !, just gimme a shout.
I’ll get my mate to pick it up with his Low-loader for you, sorted.

1 Like

Wander what the locals would think if this took off from my back garden…oh err…:rofl::rofl:

It’s right what you say about different locations, I flew from Filey Brig and none of them seemed bothered by it at all even when flying close to the cliff face where they was all perched.

1 Like

Perhaps Alfred Hitchcock’s 1963 film ‘The Birds’ wasn’t that far fetched…

4 Likes

https://stop-seagulls.co.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgL2x6pO14wIVTbTtCh34SA4wEAAYASAAEgJ4aPD_BwE

fix this to your drone

4 Likes

My Mavics seem to be game for seagulls too.

My hexacopter on the other hand has them flying close, but not attacking…
Its based on a DJI F550 flame wheel, has bright red props, red and green under arm LEDs, high power front and rear white LED lights and 8 strobes.!

So I’m guessing that size, brightness and disco lights is what you need to stop the seagulls.

1 Like

My serious advise is… Avoid flying directly below nesting birds or large predatory birds. If you can see a bird attach pending, fly directly upwards as fast as possible in sports mode and away from the birds. Do not fly in the direction of potential nesting sites. As birds also can’t fly directly upwards, hopefully you will also confuse them for a moment.

They will not be able to keep up so easily if you are rising up faster than they can. They will also not want to distance themselves from their nest.

Land as soon as possible. Avoid area / move to a new site.

I flew my Mavic on Durdle Door yesterday. At first I was a bit worried after reading this post because there were quite a lot of seagulls about but at the end I couldn’t resist to be in such a beautiful place with the drone in my rucksack.
They were not bothered at all and had a peaceful flight.

3 Likes

Thats an awesome shot though!!!

1 Like

I’ve had big problems with aggressive seagulls as mentioned in previous posts. Just recently they have lost interest in me and the Mavic which I’m sure is that they no longer have young to protect. Thankfully I can now fly from my preferred spot!
On a similar point I read about a study that produced some proof that seagulls back off approaching if faced with eye contact. So the idea of placing eye transfers on the drone is not a bad idea. Worth a try no?

Probably not …

It appears they are also total ingrates! :laughing:

1 Like

Sounds like it’s a case of the birds survival instincts kicking in as it thought it was being attacked. ‘Rescuing’ wild animals can be a tricky job. They don’t realise the intent.
I’m still going to get some ‘Eyes’ for the Mavic even if they do look a bit naff.

Can you predict that all seagulls will approach from in front?
Those are the ones we see in video/pics … but from experience they approach from all directions … left, right, behind, above and below.

1 Like

No, but flying over water all the time I need any edge I can get!

1 Like

Lure them away with some fish :fish: n chips :fries: