SG906 Max Initial Test Video

Well, the drone I originally bought before learning of the weight regulations arrived…

I originally got this as it was a 1080p video drone that had GPS and a decent price. Well, it has GPS, but the camera… oh boy, “1080p” is either a stretched lower res image, or it’s just a shoddy camera.
Also, the panning “smoothness” is non-existent, or juddering video is the best it can manage.
Either way, it’s not winning any awards! :poop:

For some reason as well, the controller just refused to turn on, so everything was being controlled by my phone wifi.

My initial test was to figure out a range: 47.5m just going straight up before the phone disconnected and I was waving my phone in the air to try and catch signal. Also, as per the video, as it approaches the ‘trendy seating’ area, you’ll see there is a drop in connection briefly… and that distance was also about the 47m mark, just in the horizontal range.

3 Likes

Can you get your money back

From banggood? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

It’ll be fine. My kids can use it.

I’m getting a Mini 2 instead which will be fit for purpose.

2 Likes

On a positive note, makes all that garbage around the seating area less obvious.

Yep…the camera seems to vary in the 906 marks…and in all of them its not smooth.
I have read it depends on what app you use with it…its cheap so cant expect much… ok for training I reckon.

PS…

Have a look at this and compare…SG906 MAX - Obstacle Avoidance Flight - YouTube

Yeah, I saw that video when I was thinking of getting it, as the picture quality looks ok there.

I’m gonna go for a walk with it later and see if it was the lower light that was causing the bad quality.

I actually queried the light when I viewed the video…its a Sony camera they use but no the best…its a low budget drone so not to expect too much after seeng DJI piccies :rofl:
The app was changed and updated so maybe you need to check for the latest…there are a couple knocking about. Its an ok drone as long as you dont want to emulate Cecil B de Mille :rofl:

After checking outside today… I won’t be flying today (wet and windy…)
But I am a lot more hopeful with more light.

:+1:

Well… today was informative! Still terrible video quality… but as I was packing up, I realised my mistake: there is an sdcard onboard the drone for direct recording… :man_facepalming:
I’ve been doing everything with it streaming back to my phone! No wonder the quality was horrendous!

Ah well, I’ve got an excuse to go out again!

1 Like

I wasn’t sure if I’d be able to get out today and record with the blustery winds! Fortunately the winds calmed before the sun set, so I was able to get a comparison video recording of direct to the sdcard vs streaming back to your phone… in short: don’t bother with the phone recording - it’s a night and day difference!

I used a SanDisk Extreme Pro 128GB microSDXC card - which is suitable for 4k recording, so the onboard recording is as good as it would get.

Biggest issue is that the controller can control the drone further than 50m, but video feedback is limited to about 48m - so although you can record your flight, you can’t see what you are recording, or even if the gimbal is correctly looking at what you want.

The other issue is the choppy and artefact filled streaming - even when I’m stood directly next to the drone (as per the second video part - it was flying less than 5m away from me)… it’s obviously meant as a viewport for the operator… but the recording still occurs on your phone anyway. I’ll have to see if that can be turned off as it’s completely pointless.

2 Likes

“…Fortunately the winds calmed before the sun set,…”

Suggest you try when the sun is higher in the sky and the light is better… :wink:

oh believe me, I was wanting to, but the uavforecast was advising to not go out… and considering the wind, I was inclined to agree. Today appears to be the same again, only getting calm enough to fly at night :expressionless:

Actually my point was to try it not in the evening but in the day ( 10am-1600) in calm weather if poss…