Short hyperlapse

8 secs @ 25fps = 200 RAWs … hardly surprising. :wink:

Hadn’t tried before, but Resolve accepts sequentially numbered RAWs directly to create a video. Saves converting to jpg first (which my version of Premiere needed me to do.)

Wll - MP RAWs …. dunno about M2P RAWs.

1 Like

Yep it accepts the .dng files but they look pretty flat. I don’t think it processes them using m2p profile.

Going to batch process in Luminar then drop the .jpegs into Resolve.

What resolution do you think would be best for a 4k TV keeping the 3:2 aspect ratio?

1 Like

Create a 4k profile, import the images, and you’ll have black bands at each side with the images 4:3 in the middle.

1 Like

Ill do one like that and one in 16:9 with some upwards motion.

Ok sorry I want clear when I posted, the file on here isn’t on YouTube or Vimeo or am I missing something so I could view it on something other that my iMac or iPad

1 Like

The file was only 38MB so uploaded directly here. Could have uploaded to YT but it would end up being compressed even more.

You can download it directly from the video in the post if you need.

If you copy it into something like powerdirector and output in 4k, YouTube tends to leave it be more than going straight in at 1080

The source was 1080 … that’s what the M2P creates in Hyper-lapse … because of stabilising and blending.

1 Like

I know. But if you do an export set to 4k it tricks youtube into thinking it’s actually 4k

Sure … you CAN.

But what does that achieve? How can it improve anything? How can it improve the detail?

The video @callum uploaded here is as it came off the M2P … no tinkering by anything, least of all YT ( … or @callum :rofl: )

No up-scaling, with the artefacts that can introduce.

I was just saying, if you wanted to put it on YouTube that was a way of doing it without suffering all the compression that normally occurs. This is nicked from someone smarter than me…

When you upload an HD video, YouTube will automatically encode the video in H264 and leave it as such until the video starts gaining views (typically around 100 at this time) at which point it will re-encode as VP9. However, if you upload a video at 4K/UHD, YouTube will automatically encode you video as VP9, making it look it’s best from the get-go.

Another important factor to consider is bit-rate. YouTube will allow, and more importantly, process 60 Mbps at 4K! That means even when your audience views videos in HD, they will be much better quality having been downscaled from a 4k Mbps upload and played back in VP9!

It’s just a suggestion…

1 Like

I do see how that logic can work to effectively increase the effective viewing bit-rate of what was 1080 to a higher rate than leaving it at 1080 when uploading.

Think I’d just use Vimeo @ 1080 if I was that worried about how it looked.

1 Like

The last thing I (or more accurately my wife) needs is another subscription though :joy:

4 Likes

Really enjoyed that very unusual and therefore extremely interesting sequence. Thanks for the inspiration.

1 Like