Should've gone to SpecSavers

Just wondering how everyone manages to see their drones at altitude/distance. Managed to get out yesterday morning and pop my drone cherry. Conditions were great, with little to no wind. Had a great few hours but had 1 main issue. At a distance of around 50M out and/or 75M up, i was having major issues seeing the drone.
Is this a common issue that gets better with experience or do i need to attach some cotton candy pink streamers to the damn thing.

Thanks, kris

1 Like

Hi kris, I’m fairly new with m3p. I struggle to see it at 50m up at anything beyond 150m distance. I tend to rely on the screen as it gets further away. I expect much higher would be even more tricky….Neil

1 Like

Hi, yes it is a problem - I have an Air 2S and dependant on conditions can just make it out at circa 1,000 feet unless I look away - then trying to find it again is err hard. I know some people fit night lights to extend their viewing limit. I have an RG pro controller and its screen usually helps me out when that happens

1 Like

Everyones VLOS (visual line of sight) is different, with practice you should be able to see an M3P at 500m

2 Likes

Other ways of improving this is to (a) wrap it in a bright colour, and/or (b) use Strobon Crees. There are plenty of threads on here with examples.

My new Mini 3 Pro and my Mini 2.

2 Likes

Make sure you wrap it place strobes and break the weight regulations as long as you keep in the rules of VLOS :roll_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::rofl::rofl::rofl:

@2_Stroke yes people do try to keep VLOS but I guarantee 99% of people lose it in a blink of a eye or that split second you look at your monitor or something distracts you in your environment and they do not bring it back they will revert to there monitor and carry on flying until probably RTH and it’s above there head.

If your a boring twerp the only why you can be honest and say 100% VLOS then it have to be large flat open fields and never go pass a tree or building something like airfield.

I’m honest and I fly from my home I lose VLOS in seconds due to trees and hills, when I fly near my town it’s from a hill higher then the town and I still lose the mm3 as soon it goes over trees and I even did a shoot and I know the drone was in front of me about 300mtrs and good sky’s but I could not see it until I RTH and nearly above me,

@2_Stroke don’t worry about it as you see by modding talks here that everyone what stronger signal to fly further :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: tell me who prove you cannot see it as if someone asked where it is I just point anywhere in the sky and say there it is :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: and hit RTH :+1: there is no data to prove otherwise unless your taking the poss and 3km away :rofl::rofl:

I wear these

1 Like

I went the Flytron crees way but was disappointed with their effectiveness during the day. Weirdly, today I tried my mini 2 from my back garden using a belly clamp with a white cree. I live on a busy estate but at 70m up I can see it in a clear sky to about 430m ( was looking at drone till I lost sight then looked at distance but didn’t take the stick off fwd). I lost sight of the cree at about 300m so back to night use only. I"m pretty sure I’ve clocked it at closer to 500m in the past so maybe a trip to Specsavers is in order. :rofl:

Apart from the flight logs :wink:

@milkmanchris flight logs don’t prove that you can’t see the drone though, everyone’s eyesight is different. One day I could only just see my m3p when it was 100ft up and 500ft away, another day I could see it at 100ft up and 1000ft away. But light grey is a pretty stupid colour for a drone.

2 Likes

I’m sure the colour or skin of the drone doesn’t make much of a difference, anyone having difficulty should lash out a few quid on a Strobon Cree C-1 light.

2 Likes

So break 2 rules one lose VLOS which is your word against them and putting a 4 gram strobe on I think if weighed properly be 248g drone which is you do have a policeman with scales in his back pocket then unlucky :rofl::rofl:, ok for rural not urban.

Strobes are great bit of kit, (Remember GADC discout) I have 2 on my Air2s but not on the mini 3 as I like it in the air and not bring attention to it as it’s small and quiet to do your shoots enjoy flying and nobody notices.

@2_Stroke enjoy the flying as we all fly from our monitors if truth be told. just make sure you have RTH set, makes sure it bypasses objects and good height on RTH, if you lose connection do not panic try going higher with the sticks and pointing towards it with controller and it should reconnect if not auto RTH will connect again then fly again. If your concerned about VLOS take a spotter :roll_eyes::eyeglasses:

I wear glasses only for driving, as I’m short sighted and also suffer lacking depth perception, I can see monitor great but not drone up in sky but with my specs yes so glasses on and off and refocus is a pain for me and yes I’ve tried bifocals :nerd_face:

We mod to get the best from our drones…enjoy!!

1 Like

Much better off getting Firehouse Arc V according to most tests.

Whatever is said about lights on models people tend to forget you are flying a model with a small ( and maybe very bright light) but its in a full size enviroment in daylight. Ok if against a dark background but against a light background…Mmmmm

I purchased a Strobon Cree with the white light and boy what a difference!!

2 Likes