Simple question: Which drone is best for a complete beginer?

Hi All hope everyone is well. I have never flown any drone yet but have been rather obsessed with youtube drone videos lately and am currently looking to purchase my first drone. My question is simply which drone is best for a novice? I would like 4K video capability and a reasonable range so I dont need to upgrade straight away. Ive been looking at Fimi X8 SE 2020 version as that looks like one of the best in my price range (around £400ish). Alternatively maybe a good quality used drone from a higher price bracket? Any suggestions would be greatly received thanks

1 Like

Have you looked at the Hubsan zeno?? may be of interest similar price? :wink: :wink: Also you may want to have a look at a s/h mavic pro… theres someone on here,selling a mavic pro platinum,with 3 batteries,for,i think £600. ok i know its a bit above what you want to spend,but this is a rock solid drone with a great flight time and 4k :+1: :+1:

1 Like

For a budget of 400 I would seriously consider the Mavic Mini ok it only shoots in 2.7k but for a starter drone its really good I can highly recommend :+1: personally I would spend the extra 60 quid to get the fly more combo mainly just for the 2 extra batteries and charging hub :+1:

Hope this helps.

3 Likes

Having got myself the MM I can agree with @DeanoG60cthat it’s a great drone for the money! I got the fly more combo and the extra batteries are a welcome addition as it gives you over an hour in the air (between battery swaps)

2 Likes

I would also vote for the mini flymore as I have one I started with and it’s amazing and fun and although I upgraded to a sh mavic 2 pro that I truly love I still use the mini , depending on where you want to fly I would also say take a look at a good second hand mavic platinum/ pro if you need a stronger connection or something better in windy conditions but whatever you get if it gets you out flying it’s good.

3 Likes

A couple of things to consider here. The Fimi X8 SE2020 is very well specified and stands up against Mavic drones of twice the price. Very powerful so unlikely to blow away, unlike the Mini which IS known to get caught by wind, and lost.

If you do get a Fimi x8, I was sent by mistake a set of spare propellers and propeller guards which you can have for the cost of postage. Worth having the guards for safety when you’re learning the ropes.

Also the X8 is much larger than the Mini. Obviously not as portable even though it has folding arms, but much more visible. Although you talk about good range, remember that in the UK you are not supposed to fly out of sight, although I daresay many do.

Do you really need 4K video? Uses a lot of memory, and some computers have difficulty coping with the files. 1080P will fill your monitor screen. OK I’m a bit biased here :wink: I started with a Hubsan 501S. Flies very well, decent 1080P stills, but video very jumpy due to the fixed camera. I don’t have (or want) a smart phone and liked the built in screen on the Hubsan.

So I now have a Fimi A3. Lovely flier, good range (I’ve seen a video showing range of 2Km in an open area), 2 axis gimbal but the electronic stabiliser does a superb job so very smooth good quality 1080P video and the stills are 3254x2448. Flight time not as long as some, but still close to 20 minutes. Excellent ‘follow me’ which the Mini doesn’t do. The only real con is a dim screen on the controller, but a simple addition of a sun shade fixes that. Available from Banggood or ebay.

Finally, the Fimi A3 is in short supply, but there’s what looks like a good deal A3 on ebay, just relisted - didn’t meet the reserve. Originally ‘Buy now’ at £240 + postage. Now £200 + postage. With 3 batteries, carry case and advanced charger (which slightly improves the flight time) I reckon that’s a pretty good price, wish it had been listed when I bought mine.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/324263406154?ul_noapp=true

Anyway, I LOVE mine :grinning:
Whatever you go for, best of luck.
Cheers,
Peter

2 Likes

Hi i have just bought a dji mavic mini £460 from pc World has three batteries one and a half hours flight times it has a lot to offer and its great and I’m a Newby go on there Web site they keep them in stock and delivered with in a week not like China takes months.
Good luck

Hey All thanks for all the advice/suggestions really appreciate it :slightly_smiling_face: I have looked at the Hubson Zeno but found quite a few people saying about various issues they were having with them. The Mavic Mini looks a great drone but Im after something that can handle the wind a little better as I dont want to travel somewhere to fly and not be able to due to wind. The Fimi I have found within budget but like the Zino Ive read a few things where people are having various issues with them and also getting stung on the import/vat taxes. Im now trying to keep an eye out for a used Mavic pro or similar but so far struggling to find one in my budget. I will keep looking and hopefully a bargain will pop up soon :grin: If any of you have anymore thoughts Im still open to suggestions many thanks :+1:t2:

What’s your budget?

£500 seems to be going rate for one with a couple of batteries and accesories

milkmanchris my budget is around £400ish but can maybe go upto £500 at a push if I can sneak it out the account without the Mrs noticing :rofl: most of the Pros Ive seen so far in good condition seem to be £600 plus but Im gonna keep a good eye out and see what comes up. Im currently sweeping through various facebook drone selling groups, ebay and gumtree. If you know of anywhere else I can keep an eye on please let me know :+1:t2:

1 Like

Usual caution required when buying from FB. Scammers taking advantage and will easily libarate your hard earned cash. I’ve only owned a Dji Phantom 3 Advanced which I regard as good for my needs but is a bulky thing if portability is high on your list. I fancied the Mavic Mini when I first heard about it, but living in NE Scotland means there are a dozen days a year where there is no wind. Buying a s/h Mavic Pro that’s been looked after is a good start I would think.

2 Likes

what about a mavic air 1 you must be able to get one of those at a reasonable price

1 Like

Hey scorps thanks for reply. Yes Ive found them for around £400 but as far as I can tell they only record in 1080p not 4k. Im a pain in the arse I know. Probably asking for too much in my price range :confused:

1 Like

After saying that Ive just found a review that compares Air 1 vs Air 2 and it says that Air 2 can do 4k at 60fps and Air 1 can do 4k at 30fps so maybe I was a lityle hasty there lol I will take a closer look at the Air 1 cheers :+1:t2:

1 Like

Try CEX or cash converters both have online shops and offer good warranty and 14 day returns policy

I have a FIMI X8 SE 2018 and I love it. The camera is great for the price and if you do lose it, it isn’t such a hardship (Iknow) especially when you’re on an OAP.

Thanks for the suggestion scottydog I will take a look and see what they have got :+1:t2:

1 Like

paradad Im still looking to buy my first drone at the mo so have not had the pleasure of losing a drone as yet but Im sure its an awful experience, I feel for you and anyone else its happened to. Im still in 2 minds about the Fimi X8 SE. Looks like a great drone but having to purchase from china and wait ages for it to arrive only to have issues with little chance of getting refund/replaced kind of puts me off a bit :grimacing:

Regarding import duty etc., I see that the 2018 version of the X8SE is available on Amazon for £340.00 and the selling company is based in Folkestone. Might be worth checking with them. The only major differences between that and the 2020 model are the longer range of the 2020 - well, even the existing range is literally miles over the UK limit, and a different camera with HDR, but that doesn’t seem to make that much difference, and anyway the camera settings are adjustable. Although I ended up with an A3 (the camera settings are adjustable on that as well!) I looked closely at the X8 and viewed several Youtube videos. I would probably have gone for it except I don’t have a smart phone, and although my tlittle tablet would have fitted in the cleverly designed controlller, it’s screen is not bright enough. And frankly touch screens and me don’t agree!

Cheers,
Peter

Fimi sales and backup is crap to put it politely!