Snow in the Dales - Pen-Y-Ghent and Fountains Fell

A wet days today, so doesn’t look like much of a chance to fly the drones, so instead here is a cold feeling video from last weekend, the snow capped Fells of Fountains Fell and Pen-Y-Ghent in the Dales…

A target of opportunity for the drone spotted during our early March Yorkshire Dales trip, the snow capped fells called for us to fly as we drove along the road between them. Strobes fitted and 2 locations selected to minimise flight distance and maintain VLOS with the drone…

A cold breeze and only 4C at take-off height chilled my fingers to the bone on the 2 short flights, but it was worth it to capture the wintery landscape atop the fells - both near and those farther away in the distance…

A bit of extra learning with DaVici Resolve used on this video, thanks to our friend Mark (Qwackers) who explained some techniques I was unaware of yesterday evening via video call - thanks Mark…

21 Likes

Very nice !
It’s not till I joined here GADC I never realised the uk had so much stunning landscape & a few journeys I’ve been myself & found a few places, I’m guessing a lot more travelling needs to be done to get to these locations, there should be a badge for clocking up mileage too get to these locations :smile: but some are lucky enough to have this within arms reach or on there doorstep.

2 Likes

Thanks… The Yorkshire Dales start about 90 minutes from here, but go on for another 90 minutes, lots of areas to explore there, and the Lakes, and the Peak District too… Just have to make the effort, which is fine for us, but would be a long trip for you…

2 Likes

It is long, have been to the lakes & the peaks, wasn’t in to droning at the time, I also stupidly went there shortly after recovering from the pain of 5 herniated / prolapsed discs :grimacing:
Had to come home, I think the journey was around 6 hours ish, on my return I had to kneel down in the passenger foot well of the car facing towards the rear where the kids were seated, I couldn’t sit down the pain was excruciating, I slipped on the side of a peak managed to keep my balance but Jared my back & was back to square one again :person_facepalming:t2:
Snowdonia’s lovely managed that a couple of years after & would love to go back.

2 Likes

Excellent, I really enjoyed that :clap:

1 Like

Thanks Stevie :slight_smile:

Great video and stunning landscape. With sound muted the isolation and vastness is apparent.

1 Like

Thanks…