So close to losing my Mavic Air in the water!

@SpininB sorry to hear you lost it. It does make me more careful now overwater, and more nervous, but it’s the best place to fly around here and has a lot more interest to me than green fields

I agree. I love to fly over the water and it’s the most beautiful spots… The lack of sideways warning is what did me in so I’m hoping that with my new drone which is the mavic pro 2 I’ll be better off. I always think I’m careful… But now I’m paranoid careful. Love to fly!!!

1 Like

Sorry to hear about the crash. I wondered why it snaps into focus around 00:16.

This is an annoying thing I experience when watching HD on YouTube … seems to take about 10-20 secs to actually feed HD, even though the setting says HD.

Actually - I trimmed the video down just to show the crash - I went back and looked at the full video and it is in focus throughout. OzoneVibe is right - it must be the YouTube issue. I had no idea this would happen with youtube …

The YouTube app on my iPad does exactly the same thing!

That could be your network speed and the need for YT to build up enough buffered input on your device to let you watch the feed from start to finish without it continuously stopping and rebuffering.
I hope I’m not saying anything here you didn’t know.

Entirely possible @joe.k but I’m on 100mb DOCSIS3 with Virgin Media, you’d think they’d know better :blush:

I doubt that. A friend of mine works at a major hosting centre … some computers have the problem, some don’t. And I can’t recall how many TBS he has access to. Just lots!

It’s not stopping to re-buffer - it buffers perfectly from the off … you can see the progress bar happily galloping along. It’s just not buffering HD. Quite simply just that.
Know of many other people with the same issue … but between us we’ve never found a common possible cause.

Mmmm… ok … I have a few devices on my home network that I can stream Youtube and High Def audio.
4K TV hard wired … mobiles WiFi . I’ve got my fair share of interference on my WiFi .
TV streams 4K instantly . Mobile devices ? Well depends where they are in the house as to how long they take to buffer.
I’ve decommissioned a robotic vacuum cleaner because it was screwing up my network . I’ve had a cheap surveillance camera totally screw up my network .

1 Like

So it can happen to the experts! Poor Billy, so do you think DJI might give him a new MP2?

Seriously though, doing a range test and pushing it out to 6 miles over water was a huge risk, any MP2 owners thinking of beating that distance?!!!

Over land would be a bigger risk …

• Bigger risk of loosing the link sooner

• Bigger risk of not knowing where it came down - if it ran out of battery whilst doing the RTH you’d have absolutely no idea - getting it to land on disconnection you’d know where it was … but you wouldn’t know if it was safe to land.

• Bigger risk of hitting someone/something and ending up with a bigger bill than a new M2P.

2 Likes

But a chance of finding it! If I were going to try it I think remote country side - not that I ever would - leave that to the you tubers! :wink:

I think I’d do it over water - but I’d definitely do a detailed wind check flight … both up higher and out some distance over water … wind over water is always greater than over land because of the resistance the trees/buildings/terrain etc cause and the thermal mixing.

THEN I’d ensure I was doing the upwind leg first! :wink:

That way you know the remaining 50% battery will get you back.

Edit: The other significant reason I’d do it over water … far better connection range! May be beyond VLOS, but I’d like to keep FPV!

1 Like

it could be click bate and he gets more form the views than the loss

2 Likes

My heart pumps pee water for this guy .
For someone with his experience … I’m sure he weighed up the risk against YT revenue .

1 Like