So, DJI, what's this? The Mavic Air 2 mega thread

Just as @silverfox682 says, it needs to have something unique for me to add it to my collection. It will probably be a very capable drone and a suitable upgrade for a current Mavic Mini owner.

Nidge.

2 Likes

DJI AirSense (ADS-B) has been dropped from the EU model of the Mavic Air 2 :thinking:

But it will be present in the North America version :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I was about to pull the trigger on a pre-order, but have just discovered this as part of my research. To make matters worse, DJI are blaming it on supply chain issues - diverting all AirSense capable models to the US market for the time being.

So we are being asked to pay the same price as the US model (in real terms more), for something which has with a significant chipset missing and de-valued sell on?

I think Iā€™ll leave my money where it is for the moment.

4 Likes

Yup :confused:

Cheat sheet from Heliguy:

So really, you just have to decide if you want 4K at 60fps :innocent:

1 Like

Things I like ā€¦

• the camera has been improved, contrary to earlier reading
  • longer flight time
  • heavier which potentially makes it more stable

Things I donā€™t like ā€¦

• price is still a killer especially as there are unlikely to be any trade in deals
  • its still fugly

Things Iā€™m baffled by ā€¦

• why offer Occusync and 10k distance when max Iā€™m pretty much ā€˜allowedā€™ to go to is 500m.

If I had won the lottery Iā€™d buy it but then again, if Iā€™d won the lottery I wouldnā€™t worry about price and which model, and in that case would probably buy a M2P. :rofl:

1 Like

Same reason people drive around in cars capable of 150mph+.

Performance is a big selling point.

Just seen this too. No2 on a google search for Mavic Air 2!

So does this mean that no DJI Drones will be legal in the UK after 2022 ?

Sure I get that, but still :wink:

1 Like

A lot of countries that DJI sell in to donā€™t have the same limitations as the UK :grimacing:

2 Likes

TBH I thought other countries were worse from what little I read. But then I donā€™t go looking for this info either so Iā€™m most likely wrong.

#storyofmylife :smiley:

1 Like

Some will be, some wonā€™t :slight_smile:

Just seen that the Mavic Air 2 Combo comes with ND Filters ND16, 64, 256 (well from the supplier i normally use anyway)
They (Buzzflyer, Sudbury) are saying deliveries from Mid May.

1 Like

NOT impressed by the lack of ADS-B ,Think i will waitā€¦ :grimacing: :grimacing:

4 Likes

I posted this on the DJI Forum and am wondering if the mods there will take down this thread :rofl:

But as it affects us here in the UK so much, it needs a little more shouting.

Donā€™tā€™ get me wrong; I still canā€™t wait to get the Air 2 but for us UK fliers, we need to be fully aware of these little missing featuresā€¦ :slight_smile:
(And the Grey Arrows gets a full on plug in this one! :slight_smile:

Cheers, Ian

I think itā€™s no secret how much I love most DJI products but I am fairly disappointed to say the least that two significant features are missing for the entire European market from the new Air 2.

AirSense was promised on all >250gm drones for 2020 yet DJIā€™s latest drone is only offering this in the USA initially on the Air 2, meaning early buyers in Europe will miss out on this hardware ( and therefore not ever get it via a firmware update).

Even more annoyingly is the lack of CE certification for the new Air 2. This is required for all European countries including the UK from later this year and after a 2 year transition period, all old unclassified drones will remain ā€˜unclassifiedā€™ and only be able to be flown in A3 category areas (ie 150 metres from any built up areas). The CAA are very clear that existing unclassified models CANNOT be retrospectively classified, so there is no scope for ā€˜getting the right sticker issued laterā€™.

So whilst I still think the new Air 2 will be an incredible bit of kit, I think early European buyers need to be aware of these issues. For some it may be a deal-breakerā€¦

Hereā€™s my thoughts

Ian

9 Likes

Good work Ian. I think so many buyers for this will not be reading these forums, and will have no idea what they are missing out on. Theyā€™ll just be looking at the camera spec and comparing against the Mavic 2s and thinking it looks good value for money.

I really canā€™t see why this doesnā€™t have C-class marking, there seems to be a huge disconnect between what EASA are specifying and what the market is supplying. Personally, I canā€™t see how Iā€™d even consider getting a new drone right now without it being CE-marked to the new C-classes. Luckily Iā€™ve no cash so itā€™s not a problem this year!

7 Likes

Hi All i am a new member and look forward to getting to know fellow drone pilots

I have just bought a Air 2 and im finding it does not live up to the hype of acusyc
as anyone else found this

1 Like

Moved your post over to this thread that has all the info you probably need.

1 Like

Never had any occuusync issues on my MP :wink:

3 Likes