So you want to fly FPV?

I know @anon34183503 already has the new DJI FPV kit, too.
He posted a video recently … Compare some video

1 Like

Hi Lee,

First of all it’s nothing like flying a Dji drone. Best thing to do would be get yourself a transmitter and a simulator. I wouldn’t even think about flying in the wider world till you can manage to handle basic flight in a sim if you have the choice.

2 Likes

ok good to know

will have another read of your previous how to thread

cheers

Do little indoor drones (like my Cheerson CX10 and the like) … which have near no stabilisation … act as a good (cheap @ £12.50) taster before going to the cost of a transmitter (which I assume will be quite a bit more?)

Mind - replacement props must be adding up by now … @ another £2 for 4. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

good question

1 Like

I can fly my old Phantom 2 in full manual mode, but the relative position of props to centre of gravity still gives it a degree of stability. More than I’d anticipate there being in an FPV quad.

1 Like

Acro is a hell of a shock after flying anything that self-levels, I can keep mine in the air most of the time in Acro.

The FPV sims help a lot, but at some point I just had to go and see if I could stay in the air IRL :slight_smile:
I’d also recommend flying over grass - a crash onto grass will get the quad dirty and be annoying - a crash onto concrete always breaks stuff and is significantly more annoying :+1:

(Also avoid climbing frames :wink: )

The P2 in full manual doesn’t self-anything.

But then its overall performance won’t generate a fraction of the acceleration/sensitivity of an FPV.

Crikey! - I did not know that :+1:

1 Like

Yup. Loops/Flips … but its lack of agility demands significant height to complete them before impact.
It’s been a matter of millimetres a couple of times … grass skimming! :fearful:

I must get a new battery for it and do some air-to-air video from the MP.

1 Like

Moved todays posts on DJI FPV Promo vid over to here … since they seem more relevant to this thread title.

@lee The cheapest way is just to find someone to let you have a go I suppose. Someone local. The fpv’s are built to crash so they’re ok to learn on. If there is no one here near you, try a local FB group. If you like it, and reckon you could make a go of it, then plough in the dollars.

3 Likes

@notveryprettyboy that’s what i was thinking as well

tried the dji goggles at hobby mounts buyt made me ill, since found out i need reading glasses so going to try again

1 Like

Yeah strange that. I have small skyzone goggles, and they’re great. Then I bought some big box goggles for a bigger field of view, and I had to lengthen them as they where blurry. My misses was the other way round. Probably something to do with long or short sighted.

1 Like

just located local facebook racing group so messaged one that lives 5 miles from my house, lets see what happens.

3 Likes

That’s a good way to go. Local fliers love to talk about there hear and help others…

It’s what I have done more times than I can count!

1 Like

Another tip when starting out. The fpv feed will likely make you feel a little queasy. My advice here is sit down and put your chin on your chest. Makes a world of difference starting out

1 Like

I really do enjoy FPV. As well as being great fun it works as a powerful analgesic. I suffer with severe chronic pain due to severe trauma and degeneration in my spine. It maybe because when I’m under the goggles the immersive experience, along with the concentration required, the priority for the pain signals to reach the brain becomes much lower.

Someone mentioned the TBS Gemini. I have one of these. The quality is excellent but I feel the performance on 3S ( especially when carrying the Möbius) is a little shallow. As it’s an older model spares can be quite cheap. I bought a full set of replacement ESCs @£2 a piece. My preference would be to replace the JST connector for a XT30 or XT60 as the JST can limit current flow, I think they’re only rated for 10Amp and less.

Not flown a P2 in Acro but I do often fly my P1 in Acro. Definitely need to make sure you’re three mistakes or higher when trying to power loop :wink:

Regards

Nidge.

Have a Gemini as well mate, yet to fly it.

Connector wont limit current flow.

An under sized electrical connector would still draw full current until the point it melted. Same goes for wiring.

1 Like

Always wanted a Gemini. Love the idea of a micro hex… might have to build one

1 Like