Some help please - Video format

Managed to get some flying in yesterday with @Staffy and got home with half hour plus of video, whoops I had recorded all in H.265 even using my MacBook Pro with 16gb memory it was struggling and constantly dropping frames. Q: how do I get this converted for editing in Final Cut X, thanks in advance

1 Like

I’d have thought you’d be ok importing that into final cut, but if you’re looking to transcode video between formats on Mac take a look at handbrake…

It’s free.

https://handbrake.fr/

3 Likes

Whilst I’m not up-to-date with Apple environment - Handbrake was what I almost blindly recommended earlier. It’s the go-to video converter.

Obviously you’ll loose some detail (depending on what to convert it to, and the parameters you use within Handbrake), so editing direct from source would always be the best option if possible.

3 Likes

Even when import media is used on Final Cut it is still dropping frames, I will take a look at Handbrake all part of the learning curve suppose…thanks comrades

2 Likes

You dont really want to be transcoding from H.265 to H.264 as they are both finally delivery codecs.

Try find something that will transcode to Prores 422 as it will retain full quality and will be optimal for editing.

H.265 is a pain in the arse sometimes.

2 Likes

Thank you