South Coast near Durlston Park - Swanage

Hello all drones’ lovers. I would like to share my first drone footage. It’s over South Coast near Swanage. It’s a beautiful location and the weather was fantastic. Please note: Durlstone National Park requires drone flying permission.

12 Likes

Great!

1 Like

Lovely stuff! When can we all come for a visit?

1 Like

Ooohh. I do like that video. :slight_smile:

1 Like

More than worthy of the Coast Flyer Badge that’s now been added to your profile.

Love the sea colours around 20 secs.

Know that coast so well - walked Swanage to Weymouth in one day, a couple of times, but many parts of that many times over the years.

:+1:

1 Like

Very nice

1 Like

I didn’t think you could fly there? I looked at it and thought there was too much red but it’s just a high risk area. Fabulous spot. Where did you take off from ? And did you get permission re the park?

1 Like

Brilliant first video.

1 Like

Hi, thank you for your comment. I checked the site no_fly_drones and there is no restrictions, no red zone. I know in direction of the Kimmeridge bay there is a military zone you can’t fly, but it was far away. DJI app is not allowing to fly in red zones as well. I had no warnings. I am very cautious and looking for warnings but sorry did not see anything wrong in the place I was. In the place where I flu - Durlston Park - the Ranger came out and spoke with us that we need permission, we did not know about. Then we moved out of the boundaries of the park. I applied for permission to fly in the park because I want to come back and have full scenery. BTW They are not making it easy. The summary of it is I take flying very seriously and would not fly where I am not allowed. Thanks.

Much better site, our very own

1 Like

Wasn’t suggesting you were breaking any rules.

This is the warning for that zone though … so I think yes you can fly but it’s a dangerous area. The marines/sbs guys often practice dropping all sorts from Hercules in that area.

It’s a great spot for sure with stunning cliffs I was curious where you flew from if not the castle itself.

Very nice video.

I am particularly interested in this stretch of coast as it is fairly local for me.

I thought the only area I could fly in was from Winspit to St Aldhelms Head and Rope Lake Head.
Dronescene seems to suggest that the area including Durlston is in the Portland Danger Area and it is advised not to fly there. Just seen there post above as I was typing this!
The area from Durlston to Winspit is all shown as NT. Is that a concern?
Am I misreading the Dronescene map or overthinking this?
Do you have the name of a contact who can give permission to fly at Durlston Park?

Any use of drones must be by prior arrangement with the parks staff, and in compliance with our drone use policy. For more information, contact us on 01929 424443 or email durlston@dorsetcouncil.gov.uk.

1 Like

Thank you for the link.

Durlston Drone Code Of Conduct.pdf (355.3 KB)

2021 Durlston Drone Operations Application Form.pdf (144.5 KB)

Durlston Field Map plus 2021.pdf (347.8 KB)

Great Info. Thanks very much.

Love it great :+1:

Beautiful smooth footage of a place I spent a lot of time at in my 20s.
I used to rock climb there regularly for some years.
I’m not surprised that you need permission, they’re understandably protective of the nesting birds and it’s close to the MOD ranges to the West as mentioned.
As an aside,I’m sure there would be some climbers who would love to be filmed, I certainly would have!
Drone footage would be perfect as otherwise you’d have to film from a boat.