South Downs

Caught the last week of summer mid September camping north of Worthing, and had some good light on the South Downs. I’ve sneaked in a few phone shots too.

Firle Beacon

Chanctonbury Ring

Cissbury Ring

14 Likes

Lovely shots there !

1 Like

Thanks, with the weird summer, it was my only camping trip. Either too hot or to wet and windy! It was quite hazy, but Lightroom Classic does a great job on the Raws.

1 Like

this is my home turf, great shots of the rings

1 Like

I deleted my LRC & LR as I was only or have only been using photoshop, however it was only today I said to myself, I’ll put them back on the laptop as I pay the monthly & give them a go as I’ve never really tried using them, I’ll do that tomorrow I have a few pictures that from the other week in wales.

1 Like

Thanks, I’d been there a few years ago pre-drone, but the drone shows the downs off from the perfect height.

Oh do try them again. I used to use Photoshop all the time as a graphic designer, but hardly need it now as Lightroom Classic is so good. The gradients and masks are very powerful now. I edit one shot in the batch, then paste settings, including Select Sky, and just tweak as necessary. Much more efficient than pushing pixels in Photoshop, as the edits are stored as vector changes.

Brilliant
I’ll give that a go tomorrow, while we’re on subject but not going of topic or ruining yr thread, why is the reason, I here people say, they start of in Lightroom & finish off in photoshop, I’ve never understood that or maybe never looked into it tbh.

There used to be more need to finish in Photoshop or others for some things like noise editing, major cloning and healing etc, but mostly no need now. Photoshop is hugely powerful though, so still fun sometimes. If you want AI edits, that’s still necessary.

Thankyou :+1:t2:

Nice photos.

Fancy adding it to Where can I fly my drone in the UK? - View this shared location on Drone Scene! ?

Might be a good place for meet-up and fpv flying.

Thanks. Most of the South Downs are great for drone photography, so I don’t really see the point. Firle Beacon isn’t amazingly scenic compared to the rings. The South Downs Way is also a very well used bridleway used by walkers, bikers and horse riders, so the idea of a bunch of FPVs blasting around sounds like a bad idea.

A great set and some interesting areas you covered.

Tx

1 Like

Be aware as the downs are a National park and there are quite a lot of restrictions around.

Thanks. I had nearly a week camping at Findon. As it turned out, the most scenic drone spots I found were close by at Chanctonbury Ring and Cissbury Ring. It was mostly good weather, but very hazy, so quite a bit of editing required. The shots into the light were 3 frame HDRs.

The National Park authority don’t seem to have a blanket ban on drones at least, unlike say the New Forest. Some bits are National Trust with the usual caveats, and some bits are SSSIs like the north slopes at Firle Beacon.

I’ve walked Cissbury ring a few times on school trips. Great pictures :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks, there was heavy rain and thunder in the morning, but nice rapidly-changing light later. The joy of the drone is it can sit there for a while catching the changes a few seconds apart.

1 Like