Spitfire IXT

One advantage of living metres from the birthplace of these delights is that they do like to visit.
I missed its fast beat-up of the airport earlier, yesterday, but dashed for the camera when it returned.
#Spitfire #IXT #MJ772 #G-AVAV #GW-A
#SouthamptonAirport

13 Likes

Wish I had a spare ÂŁ3k

1 Like

“More than once” is already on my post Euromillions win list. :wink:

2 Likes

I was working on a film at Bentwaters Parks an old us airforce base in suffolk there was a hanger there with a 2 seater Spitfire in it and while i was there this old woman must of been in her seventy’s early eighty’s used to turn up in a Nisson Micra park up get in the spitfire take off do a couple of fly past along the runway maybe a loop and a barrel roll then land get in the Micra and go ,I spoke to her a couple of times she used to deliver them to bases in ww2 she offered me a flight in it sadly I didn’t have time .
Another time in Boston I got to have a ride in a Lancaster taxiing along the runway with all four Merlins running sadly it hadn’t got a cert to fly it was still work in progress

1 Like

think I have the Lancaster on film I will look

The incredible, and very spirited, and quite beguling, Carolyn Grace used to have her two-seater Spitfire at Bentwaters.

Her husband restored it and died just before it was airworthy, if I recall correctly.

She completed the restoration and then learnt to fly … and then got certified to fly and display the two seater.

yeh that was the woman I was under the impression she flew them in ww2 but as it was back a while I might of got me wires crossed I remember having quite a laugh with her tho at the time we was filming a darren brown stunt magic thing something about Zombies been there since on fast and furious but didn’t see her then

1 Like

blimey hope she don’t read this i put her in her 70s when she was prob in her late 50s prob had a hard paper round oooops

1 Like

Oh - she’s not young! You may have even understated her age.

1 Like

Close!!!

“Carolyn Grace was born on January 8, 1952 in Goulburn, New South Wales, Australia. She was previously married to Nick Grace”

So - since she’s 16 months younger than me …. she’s actually REALLY young! :wink:

1 Like

yeh but you know what internet ages and women are like they all lie lol

2 Likes

I think she’s famous enough for that source to be accurate.

Perhaps thats what all those g forces do to your face lol, thats the excuse i am going to use from now on.

1 Like