St Bees Lighthouse (well what i could get)

Managed these but as soon as the drone was airborn 2 people came running and started shouting at me to “take it down” apparently there is “no filming around here, its our privacy”. Not being in a mood for hassle, and thinking i was pretty close (though outside of the boundarys) i landed and packed up. i could have moved further back but they were clearly upset.

Once i had landed and packed up and was beginning the long walk back down, I was thanked for landing so quickly and had a good conversation with what turned out to be a really nice lady. They have been plagued by drones overflying sometimes over the top of her kids playing in the garden, So I get why they are so upset. They have had the police up to speak about it, who told them its their privacy.

I know i could have moved further from the lighthouse and went higher and took off again, but to be honest I could not be arsed making an enemy out of nice people who have just been victims of some idiots with drones.

anyway pics i got (which i even asked if she wanted me to delete, to which she said no, as long as we are not in them) i have cropped them out.

22 Likes

ContentThriftyDalmatian-size_restricted

It’s our Privacy!!! :man_facepalming:t2: least you got the shot first :face_with_hand_over_mouth::+1:t2:

2 Likes

I can’t understand people who choose to live somewhere so photogenic, then complain when people take photos.

What did you think would happen :man_facepalming:t2:

8 Likes

Like those people who buy a house under a Heathrow flight path then complain about the noise.

8 Likes

Took words almost out my mouth :joy: don’t live in a lighthouse then :man_shrugging: :man_facepalming:t2: makes you think… would someone standing with a Canon or Nikon have received the same response :thinking: I think unlikely

2 Likes

Where is this lighthouse @Jimmymac ?

In the north west somewhere?

She actually said, “we dont mind people taking the odd photo, we know its a lighthouse”. As I said they have been over flown (low) and had people being rather nasty when they asked them to stop.

I was outside the boundarys, but, as always, idiots have given us all a bad name.

5 Likes

St Bees head, Cumbria

2 Likes

… on a cliff top that’s been eroding since the last ice age and expecting the public to pay out millions to try (and fail) to prevent the erosion.

3 Likes

That is why its so far back, its also Trinity houses highest lighthouse :slight_smile:

3 Likes

All the lighthouses should be in the middle of the UK … they’d last longer. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Awesome plan, really cant think why no one has thought of it before

4 Likes

No like you were…

source-2

Or were you :flushed::joy::joy:

In public there can be no expectation or demand for privacy. You can even take pictures or video into properties. In effect if you can see it you can photograph/video it. Obviously doing this by drone you have to be within the flying restriction regulations. If you are complying with these then there is no privacy. How do you think the paparazzi do and get away with what they do? No one wants to upset anyone but the lighthouse is in a public place.

You are probably mistaken. The lighthouse appears to be converted into a dwelling and as such is probably on private land on which I expect a right to privacy.
Just because drones have more photographic range than a camera doesn’t mean they’re fair game.
If someone came and photographed your family in you backyard how would you feel? I’d be pretty miffed.
That viewpoint demonstrates a failure in human societal cohesion and is a shame if not a breach of the law.

I should add, I like the approach that you took to the interaction. Good show.

1 Like

The lighthouse is trinity House and is a fully operational lighthouse. Its not been converted its as it was built in 1865. the cottageges there used to be the dwelling of the lighthouse keeper but are now rented since it was automated in 1987. The land the lighthouse is on is private. The land I was on and the drone was over is a public right of way.

You absolutely can not stop someone photographing your house from the street. You can’t. I stopped because I was asked to, but legally I did not have to .

I’m a nice bloke but in general if you don’t want people taking photos of your home then don’t rent a cottage attached to a lighthouse.

6 Likes

Section 8 of the human rights act may be contravened if it can be demonstrated that the camera was being used in an act of voyeurism. Whilst unlikely to be answerable in law unless one could demonstrate intent, likely difficult for a one off, it is still covered and a case could be made.

Just to add some fire to this one, I just found out that Trinity house now only technically “own” and repair the area known as the “centre turret” which is were it attaches to the cottages and the tower wich is the lighthouse itself, trinity house gave away the cottages and the old fog horn building (decomissioned but still standing, photograph)

The cottages and the foghorn building were donated, as buildings of national interest, to none other than our friends The National Trust. Thats who the tennents pay rent to, so i wonder where they are getting their “no drone” ideas from.

4 Likes

No I am not. As long as you do not cross a stated boundary (physically or with a drone), public to private, you can photograph or video anything that is in line of sight. Of course respect and decency come in to this. Taking pictures of a visible lighthouse is not a problem.

1 Like