Taken today using DJI Pocket 2 + pic using Olympus camera
Construction commenced in 1140 and the church was dedicated in 1150 although construction continued for another 30 years. It is not known why such a grand church was constructed in what at the time was a small hamlet.
The building is cruciform in shape, with a chancel (the first part to be built), a nave, south and north transepts, and a tower. A spire, one of the tallest in Europe, was added in the 14th century with a total height of 200 feet. It is topped by a gilded weather vane. A 19th century vestry was added on the church’s north east corner. The church is built from the local clunch stone and flint with some addition of Roman bricks. The architecture is Norman throughout apart from porches added in the 14th and 15th centuries.