St Mary's Church Tutbury from the air 2023

I shot the footage for St Mary’s Church at the same time as I filmed Tutbury Castle (Link to that one here: Tutbury Castle from the air April 2023) but it was too long to combine the two together.The flight was not in a FRZ and the local council does not have a bylaw to prevent TOAL. It was very quiet, when I visited, so I was easily able to launch the DJI mini 3 Pro close to the Church where I could maintain VLOS.

THE CHURCH
St Mary’s Church in Tutbury Staffordshire is a Grade I listed parish church with parts dating back to between 1160 and 1170, although, most of the nave was rebuilt in the 13th century. The West Front of the Church features one of the finest Norman entrances in England with its 14ft high and 9 and a half feet wide great door set in a series of receding arches.

When Henry Vlll ordered the dissolution of the monasteries in 1538, the Priory surrendered to the King’s representatives. The Priory buildings and the monastic parts of the church were demolished, but the remaining structure of the church avoided destruction, as it served the local Parish.

The tower contains a ring of eight bells, with four dating from 1699, with its tenor weighing a little over half a ton. There have been some alterations to the Norman Church since the dissolution. The eastern end by the altar was immediately walled off to make the church serviceable and the roof was lowered. The present tower was built by Edward l and the North Aisle was built in 1829.

The floor was raised to put in hot water pipes and the roof was replaced in 1867. At this time the Apse was built on the East End and in 1937 the floor was lowered to its original level to restore the proportions of the Norman pillars.

The church only just missed total destruction during World War 2 when a bomb fell where the tool-shed now stands in the south-west corner of the churchyard. The Church sits at the foot of Tutbury Castle and together they form an irresistible temptation to those that are smitten with historical curiosity.

https://www.youtube.com/@DocColVideo/

MUSIC
Song by Victor Cooper - Supernova (No copyright music)
Music provided by Tunetank.
Free download: Supernova by Victor Cooper — Royalty Free Music Download | Tunetank
Video Link: Victor Cooper - Supernova (Epic Sci-Fi Copyright Free Music) - YouTube

3 Likes

:+1: