St Michael's Church - Added to Places of Worship in West Midlands

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission not required.

Best to arrive once the nearby National Trust property has closed.

If you arrive when NT's Baddesley Clinton is open, you can use their car park for extra cheekiness.

Otherwise park next to the gates to the south of the track leading to the Church is space is available. Next best bet is the parking area further south on Haywood Lane to the entrance of Hay Wood, where you can take a stroll back to the church, then come back and ensure a lovely walk around the woods.

Of course worth mentioning the church is very close to National Trust Property and owned land, but the church itself is not located on NT land so is good to fly from and also to get some distant shots of Baddesley Clinton moated manor house for good measure if you wish to stick to the Trust.

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 20/08/2021. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

3 Likes

Is it just me ? Am I being a bit pedantic ? I have a problem with flying over graves. I have quite a few friends buried in that churchyard. I’m not trying to start an argument. It’s just that it doesn’t feel right somehow.

Possibly.

But that might be because:

:confused:

Yeah, I can understand that. Religion, association, whatever you want to call the feeling that doesn’t sit right with you, I would suggest is a very personal thing. And understandably so.

Some people will feel the same, others won’t have any issue at all.

We’re all different eh :blush:

No, I totally get it. I’m not usually one for taking photos of graves. This was done for the treasure hunt challenge that was taking place (and still is) at time of submission, is my nearest isolated church. A requirement for points is to add to drone scene unfortunately. Also when it comes to seeking out monuments I’m avoiding war memorials or memorials of any kind. I’m happy for it to be removed as long as I don’t lose my point. I think a few of the places to photo for the challenge are dubious/irresponsible for one reason or another and will bring it up in due course.

Don’t shoot the treasure hunt seeker!

It should be noted that photographing graves was not a requirement for the Challenge. You were offered the task of creating an image of an isolated church

Your resultant picture, either due to the aircraft being close to the subject or the image being too tightly cropped, does not convey the impression or the actuality of a church standing alone in the landscape. The subject was chosen deliberately for inclusion in the contest so that there was no need to overfly church land.

There seem to be several possible vantage points that do not require take off from or overflying National Trust property that would have given a more isolated image without the graves being in shot. A more distant picture would have also allowed an adjudicator to see that no building was within 100 metres without having to resort to Google Earth or Street View and measuring distances on the map

So your repugnance at “having” to fly near buried human remains is tempered by your desire for points that may allow you a winning place in a competition with cash prizes?

Would you care to be specific about your concerns and address them directly by messaging @Challenges_Committee ? We will be happy to discuss the resposibility or otherwise of each item required in the treasure hunt

It had been considered … :slight_smile:

Soz boss, relatively new to all this. Will try harder next time.

Totally

I will do if my concerns are valid if/when I attempt them.

Oh crikey, I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have posted what I did. I should have kept my thoughts to myself. Apologies to all concerned.

2 Likes

This would be a very quiet place if people kept their thoughts to themselves :blush:

1 Like

I’m a cameraman myself but totally new to flying drones…the dronescene site and community is great. I have a Mavic Air 2, the d/scene map information shows St.Michael’s Church ( minutes from where ) live highlighted in yellow…with DJI map detail on… does this make it a no fly zone for me.

1 Like

Welcome to Grey Arrows @JayPoly

This area, like an awful lot of the UK falls within Class D airspace.

As it’s yellow in colour and classed as a “DJI Warning Zone” you’ll simply be prompted with a warning message.

Copy that. Thanks. I did just spot the small print stating the restriction . :+1:

I’ve flown here too @firstadekit :grin:

3 Likes