Starter support and advice

Ah that was just 1 go. Next time you’ll be sound.

1 Like

I have to side with @anon34183503, but also ask what your initial budget might be? What, if any, RC experience you may have?

The DJI Mavic Mini being one the cheapest camera ships around may be appealing but it’s still a fair chunk of cash to lose if you have zero flying experience, and many have lost theirs due to this.

Rather than going for a cheap toy I could recommend looking for something on the used market in the £100 to £150 price range. This has two benefits:

1. If you have a catastrophic incident the financial loss will not be as great.
  2. When you feel the time is right to advance to something more advanced you’ll have the skill and will probably be able to recoup what you paid.

For ready to fly packages, i.e those that are equipped with drone, controller, one or more batteries, and battery charger, these are some examples I’ve picked up within the price range.

1. Phantom 1: I’ve paid between £30 to £60
  2. Blade Chroma: I bought one of these off eBay at a buy now price of £120. It came in backpack with three batteries, spare props, CGO3 4K camera, ST10+ Controller.
  3. Yuneec Q500. Like the Blade Chroma it was an eBay purchase and was similarly equipped for about the same price.

These three examples are not the most sophisticated or compact, but they are still very capable flyers and stable and forgiving even in breezy conditions. I use them for giving would be drone owners a safe stress free way of getting into the air for the first time.

At around the time that DJI introduced the Phantom1, and this same question was asked, the usual reply of advice was to start with something like the Hubsan X4. The emphasis was to build an ability to control so it became second nature, especially flying nose in where the controls would be effectively reversed. I have come across a few DJI Mavic “X” owners who can only fly their drone back to themselves backwards or rely on the automated return home feature.

You never know where this hobby may take you. I started off with the previously mentioned Hubsan X4 prior to buying my first Phantom 1 and now I also fly RC Heli’s, gliders, 3D/Sport fixed wing, and some scale Warbirds. I also enjoy the smaller FPV pocket rockets.

Regards

Nidge.

1 Like

You make that sound like a right chore!

1 Like

The problem with text is you’re seldom able to portray the correct cadence. Trust me it wasn’t a chore.

Nidge.

Nidge thanks for that in depth response… Wondered about a tello…

1 Like

I need you to become my buyer Nidge :joy:

I’ve got one of those they are great fun Not very stable in the wind (understatement) as is the case for many of the ultra lightweights You will soon find yourself wanting to move up a ‘class’ so to speak

2 Likes

What would you recommend for 150 to 250

I would agree with Nidge above if you wanted to spend a little more you could always seek same but better condition models

Just a thought but have you considered a ‘taster training course’ something I have to say I wish I had done 1st

Take a look at these guys they have quite a few places around the country I know it bites well into you budget but I’m also sure you will learn so much also

1 Like

Same here, you are not alone

1 Like

Oh I’ve just got my little :two_hearts: hearts back :smiley:

1 Like

huh?

See Ken Heron ‘wacky American older guy’ trying out FPV on YouTube ‘ Wacky but very personable

1 Like

Oh yes I’ve seen that it is a interesting video

Are you booking a lesson with Phantom Flight School?

My ‘Like’ button stopped working earlier today with a message I was giving to many out :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Ah ok I’ve not yet seen that message and I’m on here a lot as you may have realised

Me thinks your in the training industry :joy:

1 Like

You must be special I get moderator/committee messages when I don’t read the front end of Topics throw to the latest :grin:

2 Likes

I think I will when the weather much improves Chester or Manchester are the nearest for me but the views on website at Chester look pretty cool

1 Like