Starter support and advice

Hi folks,

Brand new to the world of drones just hoping to get some advice and recommendations for starter drones.

Seems like there’s a plethora of drones available

Thanks in advance

1 Like

Welcome Charles, you are in good hands, first of all what’s your budget?

2 Likes

the mavic mini is good but doesn’t seam to handle higher wind speeds. the mavic 2 pro from personal experience will handle winds of 25mph easily. Battery life is about the same on both. ATM you have to register the mavic 2 pro and the mini is exempt ( but only till july) and also if you add blade guards or leg extenders the mini is over 250g so it should be registered anyway. the big difference is the price. the mavic 2 pro is £1300 to £1400 approx. and the mini comes in at £300 to £500 . personally I like the mavic 2 pro because I can fly it more due to the British weather. the camera on the mavic 2 pro is better.
I have never seen the mavic 2 zoom . but its not that much different from the pro.

the mini is a very capable drone and is worth a look at. I would recomd you meet with member from the group tosee the dones in action and make a decision from there

Cheers Steve

3 Likes

Yeah I recently got a zoom for Christmas and I love it way more portable than a Phantom 4

1 Like

Stevelyt…I think meeting a member is a cracking idea…

2 Likes

Do you have any nearby?

Hi the Mavic Air has been around for some time now and from my point of view is possibly one of the most underrated DJI products on the market it seems to get overlooked by so many and yet it has so many of the features people are looking for and at a very reasonable price!

It’s downside is it’s thought to be a noisy little bugger by some However the ‘tone’ of that noice can be made more acceptable by fitting MasterScrew after market props Plenty of YouTube videos to go see both the Mavic Air and other DJI drones (and the Materscrew Stealth props being tested)

3 Likes

Wondered about zino Pro…

1 Like

Plenty of Zino’s about and seem pretty stable tbh probably a good starter drone, saw one in flight last week or so and was quite impressed with it, pretty accurate with RTH

1 Like

Hi mate.

Before you decide on a drone it’s worth taking a moment to think about what you want to do with it? If it’s for taking photos and videos from the air then the Dji stuff is perfect, if however it’s for flying round obsticals at crazy speeds and flying upside down then an fpv setup would be more appropriate.

What kind of thing are you interested in?

2 Likes

Probably just something to learn on… See if I get the bug

But learn what? Not trying to be be a pain in the ass but you need to know what kind of thing you want to do before investing money into it

1 Like

How to fly confidently

I can fly confidently, but as @notveryprettyboy will testament I’m shit at FPV.

2 Likes

Get a Syma X5SW, then, when you can keep it within a 3 foot circle, you can fly confidently.
It gave me the bug !.

2 Likes

Hi Charles the difference is quite pronounced between Using a flying camera to take dreamy Cinematic film or photos & racing around at speed honing your skills at dodging things I know that’s a bit simplistic But let me ask you this if given a Mountain bike would you

A. Head for the nearest mountain track in the middle of the forest and want to hurtle down the hill
Or
B. Take a leisurely trip along a nearby cannel tow path

Guys will help you out further

1 Like

Strap a GoPro to it and A

1 Like

I’d give you a like but I’ve run out for today I’ve been told

2 Likes

Oh dear lol

B