Strange behaviour when importing Mini 4 Pro images into Photos on Mac

I have just imported into the Photos app on my MacBook, a series of photos I took with the Mini 4 Pro. I copied the SD card to my desktop, then dragged the files into the Photos app.

To take one image as an example:
Name on SD Card: DJI_20240225080944_0032_D.JPG
Screenshot 2024-02-26 at 14.26.33

Name displayed in Photos: dji_fly_20240225_080944_0032_1708850908777_photo.jpg
Screenshot 2024-02-26 at 14.25.16

In the past (with my mini 2) the photos tagged as dii_fly_xxxx were low res cache files.
Other than the change in folder naming etc, nothing has changed, but the photos seem to be getting an extra ‘tag’ from somewhere?

Can anyone shed any light on this?

This is the photo, in case it helps:

@BudgieUK pete just found this it my help to understand,

1 Like

Love that topic title :rofl:

1 Like

Thanks Kirky …
I was aware of the new file naming structure (DJI_20240225080944_0032_D.JPG e.g. Year, Month, Day, Time _ 0032) etc, but that’s not the issue.

The file on the SD card is like the above, but once it’s dragged into Photos, it becomes dji_fly_20240225_080944_0032_1708850908777_photo.jpg.

So, for some reason, when I drag it into photos it adds:
xxx_fly_xxxxxxxx_xxxxxxx_xxxx_1708850908777_photo to the name …

I do not know where that additional info is coming from??

1 Like

Ok mate, have you tried clicking on an image in preview on the Mac to see what it says & to see if you can change it, just a bit of a shot in the dark, as when I got my new Mac last year & I imported the files across, I had to change something for something to do with the files can’t remember exactly what ( under get info ), but once I’d changed a default on one picture the rest followed in suite to what they were meant to be, again just a guess.
Edit : I done this with Apple by screen sharing again just a guess may not be the same issue but just saying :+1:t2:

I’ve just dragged it into photos on the Mac I cannot see as per what your saying for yours,

For comparison, this is the same file, dragged into Photos

Weird huh?

Do you create a folder on your machine that you direct copy everything into then you highlight and drag and drop them into the Photo’s app ?
Are they all going into one massive folder as you may have something on that re-names the photos so that they are unique as you may already have files in the photo app with the same names as the ones in the SD/Dump folder that you put them into.
Or there is a setting that just renames them based on some criteria.

I don’t dump photos from my drone into the Photo App as it would then sync all them photos to all my other icloud devices but I catalogue them in folders in the file system and use preview to see the images then I can delete the ones I no longer want and then use the files I want to keep in any photo editing app. So I do not know for sure if the above has any impact on what your seeing. But it would be a starting point.

Just had a look on my Mac and this is what I see.

Off the SD card from the drone the file name is DJI_0005.JPG
If I use the Fly app and the quick transfer option then I get the DJI_Flydate_other info etc like your showing - but this is an imported from the drone via the FlyApp into the Photo app

Could that be what is happening as I have also just dragged the DJI_0005 file into the Photo app and no name change etc.

Thanks @LE60LAD Peter,

That’s an interesting point as I did play with the Quick Transfer feature on my iPhone, but deleted all the files that were imported that way (they looked decidedly ‘soft’), and I am now trying to import the originals off the memory card. You may be onto something there :thinking:

I tend to drag all the files off the SD card, into a folder on my desktop.
The Mini 4 (and maybe other drones) creates several files for each video file (a low res version, and another file I cant remember what it does). Once they are in the folder, I delete the other files that I dont need/want, as well as any images that I can see are rubbish (that’s a lot of them!).

(With my previous Mini 2, I just opened photos, it spotted the images on the SD card, and asked if I wanted to import them)

I then drag those images into photos.
As I only got the Mini 4 recently, and due to the way that DJI now name the files, (with date time etc) I am 100% positive that there are no conflicting file names in Photos.

I wonder if there is some legacy ‘stuff’ that is linking the imported files to the ones that were imported via the Quick Transfer method.

I don’t really use the Fly App for photos or video as I find it quite slow really and would rather get the images directly off the drones SD card as they will be the highest quality and its quicker so cant really shed much more light on this. I had to do a decent search to find that example.

But it is odd

2 Likes

I have seen that naming on some of my files and I think was when I used the quick transfer from the app to my iPhone and I don’t think the quality is as good.

Now I drag from the card straight into the photos app on the MacBook, doesn’t cause any issues.

1 Like

It will be quicker. The quality will be exactly the same.