Suggestions please - Rendering Issue with DaVinci Resolve 18

Hi All,

Been using DaVinci Resolve 18 for the last 3 months, pretty much without issue - occassiona GLU initiailisation failure on startup, but easily restarted. Running it on a Dell Inspiron laptop with 24GB RAM and 1 TB SDD.

Edited some footage yesterday of Balvenie Distillery, some drone flying and still photograhy wiht a 24 frame cross disolve. Came to render it and it reaches 53% / 1 min 37 sec and then DaVinci closes down. Tried changing the footage, setting up another timeline and copying it over, but still crashing, any ideas?

Is this the free version or the Studio version?

And, what are your render settings? (Perhaps a screenshot of the render settings panel is easiest?)

Free version, render set to 4K, MP4, H.264 29.97 Frame rate, quaity restricted to 110000kbs, same settings as I have always used and have worked for every previous video…

Just trying some diferent music and rendering as a 2nd timeline, fingers crossed it may work this time…

Does it all play OK in the timeline?

yes, plays fine, no glitches, tried about 5 times last night, changing diferent pictures and transitions, even removed the subtitles for the pictures, but wouldnt have it… Wss up until 0045 trying to get it working…

1 Like

It does sound strange …

Next thing to try would be to disable clips / transitions - 1 at a time - and re-try.

You may be able to locate the part of the timeline it’s not liking.

Any noise reduction in use? (My old laptop can get a bit upset with that).

Any other similar GPU intensive settings in use?

1 Like

Which GPU do you have?

1 Like

INTEL i5 processor, NVIDIA GeForce MX230 GPU, set to high performance for Resolve and sleep modes turned off…
No NR running that I am aware of, and nothing else running on the computer…
Just shut down again at some point, so its not the music… I may have to start the edit again and see if that helps…

There were some new drivers for NVIDIA a couple of weeks ago. I’d download and install. (These don’t always get installed with Windows updates.)

I recall having an issue related to this a few years ago.

Download direct from NVIDIA …

1 Like

I’m using DaVinci Resolve Studio 17 but had a very similar issue a while back and it turned out to be the render quality setting. In Auto it kept crashing but when changed to ‘Restrict to’ and lowered the kb/s setting it would then render. Try coming down from 110000 kb/s.

1 Like

Try clearing the cache also,

1 Like

If this has been the setting used successfully many times in the past, then it would be strange if this were the setting causing the issue - but everything worth trying.

2 Likes

The final render doesn’t use the render cache at all. They are only used for timeline viewing … at whatever settings one has set for that.

• … unless these Advanced render settings have been changed - which is very unlikely …
1 Like

It might get just free up memory

1 Like

Ok, created a new project, rebuilt it and it still dies half way through, removed the inividual picture and it still does it…

Opened another project that has previously rendered ok and re-delivered and it ran no issue whatsoever, so it seems like its an issue with the still images, or the transitions between them…

Bugger…

Going to remove the disolves and manually fade in and out… and see what happens then…

1 Like

The cross-dissolve really does very little. Would be seriously surprised if this was the culprit.

By any chance, were you using the Fusion Transition version, rather than the standard transition? That’s a little more processor intensive and just could be the difference?

Did you check for up-to-date NVIDIA drivers?

Ok, so the trnsitions were the issue, removed them all and changed to 15 r=frame fade in and fade out and it works fine…

Would not have thought it to be the issue, but you live and learn…

I will check the drivers, thanks @OzoneVibe

Thanks all for the help…

1 Like