Symonds Yat Rock, Wye Valley - Added to Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty in South West

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission not required.

Parking: 51.837870, -2.635745
TOAL: 51.841040, -2.634554

If anyone gets the chance to pass by here, stop and visit. It is amazing. The views are like being in the Alps. I parked in a Pay & Display carpark, I think it was £3 for 2 hours. The walk from the carpark to the rock is about 20 minutes up an easy path. You pass a log cabin cafe half way up (or down) for refreshments. I had a coffee (black no sugar £2). You cross a foot bridge across the main road below and then you on the rock - with panoramic views 270 degrees over the Wye Valley and river. The photos don’t do it justice.

Symonds Yat Rock is home to an Iron Age hillfort built around 2500 years ago. The area is now a Scheduled Ancient Monument. The remains of the ramparts can still be seen in the form of a series of banks and ditches.

More recently, Yat Rock and the Wye Valley are known as the birthplace of British tourism. They have been used as a travel destination since the 18th century after they were popularised by the Reverend William Gilpin, the pioneer of the ‘Picturesque’ movement. His writings influenced the popularity of English landscape painting and inspired the Romantic poets.

Symonds Yat Rock viewpoint is well known as one of the best places in the country to watch Peregrine Falcons. However, with a little patience, there are many other birds that you can seen here. Goshawks can be viewed in detail, Sparrowhawks are frequent and breed in the trees in the valley as do Buzzards which can be seen from above whilst soaring. Ospreys also often stop here in the spring and autumn migration. Tawny Owls are sometimes seen roosting and hooting males are occasionally heard during the day. Barn Owls, Ravens and Kestrels also usually nest nearby.

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 02/12/2023. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

4 Likes