Taking drone to USA

I think I’m pretty much decided to take it. Imagine finding the perfect scene and wishing it wasn’t at home!
I’ve just looked at Airmap and there are an awful lot of brown blobs. I’m not sure what they are, not airports.
Thanks.

2 Likes

Happy flying and look forward to seeing some great footage :+1::+1:

1 Like

Cheers, Thanks. No pressure then!:smile:

2 Likes

NAH , what makes you think that.??? :rofl::rofl: Think you have made the right decision though… :+1::+1:

2 Likes

Thanks Tony.:smile:

1 Like

Well I’m back from the U.S. I did take the Mavic in the end and FWIW I had absolutely no problems at all going through security either going or coming back. I had discharged the batteries to less than 50% but I really didn’t need to, no-one asked a thing. I just put it in the tray, with the spare battery in a plastic bag, no questions asked.
My wife’s surgery was a fantastic success, well impressed with the hospital facilities. However, the flying was a flop, we were in a hotel for a week and was chief carer after the op. so I only managed 2 flights, one at the back of the hotel and one at a bridge over the Mississippi where it was extremely windy, so quite nerve wracking. Nothing around St Louis itself. Still, it was quite an interesting experience.

https://vimeo.com/339432630

4 Likes

:+1:

2 Likes

I might possibly be going to New York next month.

Anyone got any advice about flying + using Mavic in USA?
Regulations / Battery Charging / include in carry on luggage (batteries obviously) but drone as well? / registrations needed to fly? / good lawyers to get me out of jail?

Moved your post to a pre-existing topic on the subject in #Travel-advice-for-anyone-taking-their-drone-abroad :wink:

1 Like

A logical forum search also brings up a couple of other useful threads.

1 Like

Thanks Dave,
Should have checked for similar posts before putting mine up.
Apologies!

2 Likes

John,
Maybe an idea to talk to @PaperCrane, who is a local member.
He has been “across the pond” and maybe able to steer you in the right direction of the do’s and don’t’s.
All I can add is to have your drone in your Carry on bag with it’s batteries depleted to 25% (for safety), and cover the terminals on each battery with insulating tape.
I would also check the airlines regulations and rules in respect of drones.
I have never in all the airlines I have flown over the last 5 years, had any problems.
Where you are likely to encounter any checks is in the Security areas, prior to passing “Airside”.
But, you must not on any account put your drone in the hold luggage.
If you are challenged at the gate (to put your hand luggage in the hold) refuse and say “I have Lipo batteries in my luggage which must not go in the hold”.
Some Airlines will only allow a certain amount of bags on board (70 ish), before they start to take them from you, and put them in the hold (Ryanair, Easyjet) are famous for it !.
So make sure you up the front of the boarding line.

1 Like

Oh, and don’t forget to register your drone with the FAA (Federal Aviation Authority)

1 Like

Thanks Chris.

That’s pretty much the size of it.

Take the bag with RTH drone in it out of your hand luggage and put it through the security scanner separately - like you would a laptop.

Make sure your batteries are in lipo bags. I usually cover the terminals too - although nobody has ever checked them, or even asked for them to come out of hand luggage at security.

Most airlines restrict you to no more than 2x lipo per person, so when I travel with my wife, one of us has 2x battery, the other one has drone and 1x battery.

Other than that, it’s a remarkably big non-event! In all the times I’ve flown in the US, I’ve once had someone ask me to go somewhere else with it. Not a problem - I was in the desert in Arizona and there’s quite a lot of it to play in.

Enjoy America and let us know how you get on flying. PM me if you want some NYC tips. My wife used to live there so I went six or seven times a year.

3 Likes

Thanks Russel,
Really appreciate the advice.

What is a ‘lipo bag?’

1 Like

Get ya credit card out, AGAIN! John !

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kismaple-Explosion-Resistant-Batteries-Protector/dp/B07B2RX585/ref=sr_1_7?crid=2F72NXTUYWKIV&keywords=lipo+bag+mavic+air&qid=1564997598&s=gateway&sprefix=lipo+bag%2Caps%2C152&sr=8-7

2 Likes

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CamKix-Travel-Safety-compatible-Mavic/dp/B07BK11GBQ/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=mavic+air+battery+covers&qid=1564998460&s=gateway&sr=8-4

1 Like

Just registered with the FAA.

Thanks Chris :ok_hand:

1 Like

Went for the 2nd one as it had port covers as well, which saves on insulating tape!

Ordered 2, 2 packs as max can carry on each.

1 Like

Yeah, thought you might, that’s why I posted it!

1 Like