Taking in Stafford Boat Club while child minding!

The Stafford Boat Club was created in 1964 with a mission to restore and promote canal boating. From its humble beginnings, and near closure in the late 60s, its dwindling members persuaded the Stafford Borough Council into allowing them to use the then derelict Hazlestrine Canal Arm as a base. The members of the Club worked hard to restore this section of the canal but dwindling membership threatened them once more. By 1976 there were only three left and as a last resort they arranged a meeting to "Save the Stafford Boat Club. This helped to revive the club and obtain a lease of the land from the Stafford Borough Council. A right of way from the Wildwood estate developer followed and the necessary planning permissions granted. The club has since gone from strength to strength expanding its footprint purchasing the field opposite the land it originally leased. The site continued to be developed and in 1990 its original wooden hut clubhouse was replaced with a charming new building next to the slipway. In 2004 a Wet Dock was added along with an ornamental lock feature in the middle of the field.

The Club is accessed off the main Wildwood Drive ‘ring road’ and as a frequent walker in the area I like to spend a minute or two basking in its friendly, peaceful, atmosphere; watching the narrow boats coming and going. I’ve yet to sample the Club House treats but I understand the hosts are a friendly bunch and the beer is cheaper than most! This video was taken during a walk with my Grandchild who spent the entire time fast asleep in her pushchair :sweat_smile: :shushing_face: (dont worry the missus was with her the entire time) :laughing:

Hi Colin, that’s a lovely story, nice bit of history. It has certainly made a come back, looks thriving now. Nice video too, smooth bit of flying and nice edit :clap:

Thanks Chris that means a lot, coming from you especially. :+1:t2: I’m new to all of this but having a buzz learning from those of you with years of experience. I love editing but so far have only used the Fly app editor, which is way too limiting. I end up cutting 2 or 3 batteries worth of footage down to 3 mins mostly by speeding it up. Kind of spoils it. :laughing: The history thing was a result of your vids and becoming a local guide after I saw a post from @milkmanchris

2 Likes

This vid was done with that? I’ve never used it in anger. If so, I’m surprised, as it looks decent mate.

I’ve only been a ‘full time’ with the drone for 18 months. Video editing was all new to me at the time. I wanted something easy to start with, so I chose Filmora - which is a doddle to use. Others are available. After about a year, I swapped to Adobe Premiere Pro for that extra functionality (and because everything else I use is Adobe). Good luck mate.

Cool. I’ll look into that. I’m goin to update my laptop ( phone screen too small lol) and have been thinking about getting Divinci Resolve but will look into Filmora in the interim. :+1:t2:

1 Like

This is widely used by folk on this forum. I’ve never used it, but I’ve heard amazing things.