Telemetry radio frequency

I am using 2 APC200 radio data modules for my self-build quadcopter

https://wiki.dfrobot.com/APC220_Radio_Data_Module_SKU_TEL0005_

According to the datasheet they have a frequency range from 420Mhz to 450Mhz

and they come preset at 434Mhz

I have found software that I can change the parameters

The problem I have is when I have them communicating the neighbour cant close his garage door! :joy:

If I changed the frequency would it cure the problem? but more to the point what would give me the best range? the modules are supposed to transmit up to 1000m

1 Like

Whats the watts?

Haven’t a scooby :confused:

The only options I have to change are:

It’s just for sending the telemetry data
They are mainly used in Adruino robotic’s projects
but I want to get a long as possible transmission range from them

434 is a licence free frequency typically used on vehicle key-fobs and the like such as garage openers as you have mentioned. They send something like a 12 bit code to the receiver and many are just pulse on/off devices. The maximum power is meant to be 10mW.

See

They are only meant as short range devices, consider how far you can reach between car and from your key-fob and they still work.

That is not to say you can not get better range as I do not know the modules you are using and what the specs are? The main thing at these frequencies will be the antenna length at 434 MHz a dipole antenna is typically 33 cm long.

Adrian

I admit to knowing very little about drone telemetry, but interested in learning.

1 Like

Hi Adrian,

Thank you for the information

So I can change the frequency band from 434 that would fix the issue with the garage door?

The range I have from the data-sheet is 420Mhz to 450Mhz so could I use one of these and if so which one would be the best for the range?

I have also read if I lower the series rate to say 2400bps or even 1200bps that would extend the range

The antenna length is 3.3cm
I have tested them and got about a 700m range max as they are

It really depends I guess if you wish to stay in a legal frequency, take it down just a bit to 433.05MHz
IR2030/1/10 Non-specific
short-range
devices Equipment may be
used airborne. 433.05 - 434.79
MHz 10 mW e.r.p.

You have to also consider that when you are away from home then the garage may not be an issue, so there is always the possibility of moving it elsewhere to test it and move it back when you wish to fly.

Adrian

1 Like

Adrian, I have them running now at 433.05 MHZ, the neighbour’s garage door is no longer an issue :crossed_fingers:

When the weather impoves i hope to do a flight and range test.

1 Like