Tello Drone advice

My Boy would like a Dji Tello drone. He’s 9 are these a good option and could he on good weather day use it outdoors. Im about to order it but thought I’d get some advice. At £99 it seems a good buy for a child. Thanks

I had one. It’s a great little drone but I highly recommend using it indoors only. I say “had” one as a very slight breeze took it away never to be seen again. Really good, fun product though.

3 Likes

Thanks maybe not the best then as I’m sure at times he’d like to fly outside a little. I’ll think on it.

If it’s dead calm it will be fine. If you do get one I’d recommend a controller too. You might want to look at something used like a Spark or similar though.

I have a Tello - it’s fantastic. I’ve flown it outside quite a lot. In about a f2 touching f3. So the Max I’ve flown it in is about 8mph. I personally don’t bother flying in anything more than an 8mph breeze regardless of the drone. When it gets windy the slope soarers come out to play. :slight_smile:

They have height limit so there’s only so far you can go. It’s 30 feet if I remember correctly. Use it sensibly and you can’t go wrong in my humble opinion.

Edit - forgot to mention.
Ps - They don’t fly over a solid coloured floor at all. I have a polished concrete floor which is all light grey. I was a bit gutted that I can’t fly it in my large kitchen area. Just like flying over perfectly still, glassy water, the sensors don’t like it.

1 Like

Thanks my lad wouldn’t fly it far or high and would be only in still conditions outside really.

1 Like

Edit to my above post which is worth consideration.

And they can do a basic follow me using third party apps.

1 Like

Oh my kitchen is similar :frowning:

I just buzz around my living room and workshop with it indoors. A carpet and fleck vinyl floor and it’s ok.

Here’s the follow me app
](upload://c51vkw44oyIrno4AFX99px0j4tt.MOV)

1 Like

Don’t pay £99 for a Tello. I’m sure I’ve seen them as low as £60/70 new on ebay.

2 Likes

Certainly can’t go wrong at that price! :+1:t3:

Had one and on a quite day you can fly it really well outside. Loved it. In fact it’s what got me to get the Mavic Mini

Fab bit of kit. Recommended getting game controller for your photo too for it as you will have way better control over it than just the phone screen :+1:t3:

1 Like

Checkout eBay seller “itstor”

I’ve bought a few things from them, including a Tello Edu, and I’ve been happy every time.

The Tello belies its diminutive size. The default APP is a little disappointing but the TelloFPV and TelloMe APPs, though not free, really do exploit the little quads capabilities. Another APP worth looking at is DroneBlocks. This will introduce your lad to programming autonomous missions. The APP is free and the author, Dennis Baldwin, makes regular updates and improvements.

5 Likes

Thanks some good advice. He’s having a think about it. Personally I hope he gets something rather than another game. He has a little potensic a20 nda loves it but wants to do a little more and a camera :camera: probably to spy :joy:

I still have one I sometimes sit upstairs in bed and fly it round the house its quite a hardy thing once crashed it and it of all places landed in the dogs water bowl still fly’s ok. Have used it over the park if you have a wide open space it can’t go to far I have a wifi extender that I have never used but its worth getting a Gamesir T1d bluetooth controller makes it more like flying a bigger drone

1 Like

Great little drone get a gamesir T1 controller more batteries and your lad will have fun…

1 Like

You can also use a ‘Screenstick’ with the Tello. A mechanical control stick that sits on the screen. It’s like a control stick on a transmitter and it’s also got a stick that’s more like a controller for thumb only.

I have one, they are fun to use in the house or outside on a very still day.

You can get a drone cage for them, with the cage on you can pinball them off the walls (cuts down on replacing broken prop-guards, DAMHIKT :wink:).

The little game controller is worth having too IMO.

GC

1 Like

Thanks everyone my lad wanted one so just ordered one combo pack. See how he gets on when it comes im sure he’ll love it. Maybe I might need a play too. :joy:

2 Likes