Tetbury, Cotswolds AONB - Added to Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty in South West

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission not required.

Parking/TOAL: 51.635951, -2.161379

The settlement has a history stretching back at least 1300 years, to the time of an ancient hill fort, from the early middle ages.

The first records of Tetbury began in AD681, when King Ethelred of Mercia issued a charter granting land near “Tette’s Minster” to the Abbot and Monks of Malmesbury.

The centre of Tetbury has remained largely unchanged since the 16th and 17th centuries when the town was at the height of prosperity as a major wool town. Most of the buildings that survive in the main street were there during the reign of Queen Elizabeth I but it can be difficult to establish the age because of the 18th and 19th century fronts.

It flourished as a centre for the wool trade (as did many parts of the Cotswolds), and has many surviving examples of buildings from throughout 100s of years of history.

Although wool is no longer the same highly prized commodity that it once was, Tetbury continues to thrive. The town centre features somewhere in the region of 25 antique shops and Tetbury is well known for its wide array of independent establishments.

It’s the second largest town in the Cotswolds, the largest being the aforementioned Cirencester.

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 16/12/2022. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

3 Likes

Great photo

1 Like

I want to fly here @clinkadink, but there are no parking or take off and landing markers. Would you be able to add some to the map please?

You’re hoping to fly in a lot of places @marvel333 :airplane: