The Avata recovers well

Little update on the Avata experience…and please bare in mind I havnt flown FPV until this week, so my exitement may be a little over the top… :crazy_face:
Tried last night in sport mode…WOW, soooo much fun :grin::grin::grin:. Sooo agile, soooo different from a camera drone​:grin:.
Anyway, gettin used to the goggles, still obviously getting light leaks, need some kind of foam for a good fit.
Shot the footage in Ultra wide, obviously with Rocksteady. Brilliant camera.
Motion controller great now I’m kinda used to it, quite intuitive.
Battery life. I thought I would have had a gripe, but not really, you’ve still got enough time for a cruise round, then time to get an half decent shot. :+1:. Around 11 minutes.
Now, signal. :thinking:. Dire. I never had any problems with the mini 3, like a lot of people did, guess I was just lucky. But this…sometimes you can’t go behind a twig without the transmission dropping out, and that’s at 100m and a height of 15-20m. One time last night I lost all connection, I thought I’d venture into the adjacent field, pretty clear line of sight, 200m away with a height of 20m…lost all connection, RTH. :tired_face:. Wtf. Doesn’t exactly inspire confidence.
Ian in London had issues in his test vid. Anyone else with this issue?
Anyway, here’s my tree trimming exercise, and after all the moaning I STILL LOVE THE THING​:grin::grin::rofl:.

Enjoy the vid, I did while making it😁

https://youtu.be/3oyWneaRQg8

6 Likes

Great video :+1: :+1: :+1:

The shots into the sun are very good - did you have to do much in post to get exposures right ??

Looks like the FCC mod is going to be essential for the Avata :man_shrugging:

Still impressed with how it behaves and the confidence its given you already to get really close to the greenery. If I were to get into FPV, I’d need something like this because at my age I don’t have the reflexes or the wherewithal to learn the intricacies of FPV flight :roll_eyes: :crazy_face: :joy: :joy:

1 Like

Hi John thanks. In post I just tickled it a bit, it seems to be like the mini 3 video wise, contrasty but has decent colour. All I did was lift the shadows a tad, the colour a smidge and brought the highlights down a bit, sounds very pro doesn’t it, I literally just wing it till it looks right🤣.
It can be weird to control with the motion controller, especially trying to land it on the pad, the other drones I have no problem putting them on a six pence. In the air proper though, I found it soooo easy, soooo responsive and it stops quick, which is a bonus :grin:. I don’t know much about fpv, or the way they normally behave, but this feels good and it’s not really fussy to fly​:+1:.
Yeah, FCC defo on the cards, nobody on YT from the States has any mention of signal drop outs like I have.

1 Like

That exposure into the sun is impressive - looks to be a good improvement over the DJI FPV camera :+1: :+1: :+1:

… was the same for the Mini 3 until they had the problem of it dropping out of FCC into CE - then all hell broke loose :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: - one of the problems of watching the “influencer” videos I suppose. Wonder if DJI will do anything to improve the signal range per the Mini 3 :thinking: :thinking:

Must admit - I’m still interested - just need to get one delivered without my Chancellor finding out
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

As well as your 2:14 “Oops” … the 0:54 twiggery rearrangement didn’t escape me! :+1:

:rofl:

Ya what? That is impressive! :bowing_man:

Nice to have empty green fields to hand … I’m not sure Southampton Airport would give me permission to beat up the control tower when I do a 900m range test from my garden …:rofl:
(The airport is the only open space around here. :frowning_face: )

I took up FPVing last year at 61 :wink:

I can add the best part of another 10 years on you and its those 10 years that have seen me go downhill :joy: :joy: :joy:
Many years ago I used to race Large Scale off road and on road cars - 23cc strimmer engined jobs - and I can just about remember how sharp my reflexes WERE in those days.
Didn’t start flying drones until I was 64 when I retired so don’t have the muscle memory to call on - won’t stop me having a go though :+1: :+1: :+1:

Haha, there was actually another 2 twig moments in the previous minutes of footage before hand, I don’t think flying round concrete is on the horizon anytime soon🤣, but knowing me I’ll have a crack🤪.
I’d love to fly around somewhere like an airport, obviously legally, so many things to get through and under. Great setting. Sadly I think your right though, it would be a no go.
Yeah, never flown fpv before this week, thanks for the compliment :+1:

1 Like

Cheers mate, I now know what the next 10 years holds for me​:grin::grin::grin:, I’ve already gotta go to the walk in centre this morn with a cabbaged knee​:joy::joy:
Would have loved to have done the racing thing. Tried a tad on bikes in the 80s,never led to nothing though… :tired_face:

Great video.
John

Just got my Avata and new to FPV too so very impressed with your video. Made me really keen to give it a go but like @OzoneVibe I also live near Southampton airport so need to find an appropriate open space.

1 Like

Sorry to here about your flying situation, and thanks for your comment👍
The Avata is REALLY easy to fly with the motion controller if that’s what you got with it or already have. Just Point and GO! :grin:. I’ve been literally flying inside our house today, enter through the patio window then up the stairs and out the bedroom window :crazy_face:. I’m new also to fpv, the goggles and stuff, I’ve always fancied a go and this little fella has given me that chance with the ease of it. It will be called cheating probably by purists of fpv, but it is what it is. A great drone and experience! Happy flying. :+1: