The Crown Estates clarification! Foreshore & Estuary areas

There maybe a number of reason for this, Bird Reserves, Areas of Scientific sensitivity, etc.
The map is a guide to indicate areas that can be flown (in purple) but, do not take this as being gospel !, as I found out at Wells-Next-Sea (as my first post) !!
It’s even more crazy here in Norfolk, the boundary between Councils runs right up the centre of the river !.

Indeed nuclear power stations, bird sanctuaries etc, quite understandable in some parts especially if you look at the areas on aeronautical charts, some areas though make no sense at all, like the bit that goes right up to approach path of rwy 30 at cardiff, I think amendments will be made in reference to Drone flights, but it’s early days and legislators tend to take years to catch up with reality

Please correct me if I am wrong I interpret the Crown Estates wording as follows :

Not to conduct Drone flying / metal detecting from the river bed or sea bed.

Metal detecting /Drone flying is permitted on the Foreshore of areas highlighted in purple on the map.

I interpret the Foreshore to mean the land between High and Low tide along Sea Coast and Tidal Rivers / estuaries ( Permit required for Thames )
Any flights also conducted to CAA Regs

Any guidance would be appreciated .

2 Likes

Sounds like you got the gist of it :grin:
That’s what we all interpret it but I am sure there are jobs worth’s out there who will tell you different because there always is …

2 Likes

Thank You for reply :,totally agree about jobsworths they pop up everywhere :grinning:

3 Likes

Just be careful at certain locations on the Coast, as they may show as being the Crown Estates on the Map, but, it is not always correct.
Some places could be English Heritage, National Trust, or simply private property.
A prize example around here in Norfolk, is Wells-Next-Sea, it is showing as CE, but is owned by The Holkham Hall Estates, which is private.

1 Like

Thank You I will take this into consideration .

Also knowing the Low Tide times when visiting the coast is a great help that a lot of people forget about.
I think there is a Tides App available for most phones, etc.

2 Likes

You should also check local councils as they can introduce regulation on crown land such as north Somerset county council who have banned the use of drones on the beach st Weston super mare and Burnham and brean beach

1 Like

Here is a map on the Crown Estate web site showing where you can legally fly/take off/land highlighted in purple

https://crownestate.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Viewer/index.html?appid=0aac22685d2f4d78a2a3b0a5aa1660db

Moved your post over to a pre-existing thread on the topic. :+1:

Are the pink Foreshore & Estuary areas on the map no fly zones?

All the info is on the DroneScene About page.

Also other info above in this thread that I’ve moved your post to.

On the Drone scene map you have the pinkish purple bits saying ‘Crown Estate Foreshore and Estuary’. But I really only see the markings in some estuaries and along select areas, it is not along all tidal sands. My question is, does it apply to all beaches/tidal sands or do some of these come under local Council Bye-laws where the shading is missing. For instance it is around Sandside/Arnside, but not around Greenodd and Bardsea, or around Cleveleys and Fleetwood. All in the NW.

Slightly confused!

Adrian

Moved your post to the thread about the subject. :+1:

1 Like

OK thanks I forgot to check for a similar post if I am honest. Looking at the above it answers my question, just because the wording gives a right, expect local councils and maintainers to remove the right.

So stick to the pink bits

Adrian

1 Like

Useful info…