The Daily Photo Thread

First to come up on Google …

5 Likes

I visited Picquet Hill in Edington this afternoon (in the foreground).

2.75KM to the west (in the background above), is Bratton Camp. The Viking warlord, Guthrum, and the viking army seized the hillfort here, and took Wessex. King Alfred and his anglo-saxon army defeated Guthrum and his men at the ‘Battle of Ethandun’ (now Edington), on Picquet Hill. Alfred then reclaimed Wessex.

16 Likes

Little flight with the Air2s today near J26 M1

13 Likes

The (in)famous Coalville Clocktower…

13 Likes

My place of work yesterday. We were filming a wedding at Kilberry, on the the west coast of Scotland, which has stunning views out to Islay & Jurra. Totally shattered this morning though after 10 hours of filming and 6 hours of driving!

Mavic 2 Pro

19 Likes

Looks very Harrier to me. :thinking: I’ve seen a lot of them recently. Same fan shaped tail like the kites. Go back and take a photo from underneath lol :laughing:

Sunrise @work

9 Likes

I would have to agree with @OzoneVibe
The red kite, as far as I’m aware, is the only uk raptor to have a forked tail. Harrier tail is more fan shaped. These magnificent birds were reintroduced to Scotland some years ago after being virtually wiped out by man"kind". We now have a very healthy population thanks in part to places like Argatty Red Kite Centre who helped reintroduce and put out feeding stations

I took these when I was out searching for Pink stuff today.
My entry for the Fundamental colour challenge took me to Fauld in East Staffordshire.
Faulds gypsum mine has a very sad story from WW2. The old mines during WW2 were used to store munitions for the RAF.
On the 27th November 1944 a massive explosion occurred of around 4000 tons of high explosives.
It resulted in the deaths of over 70 people and quite a large area of devastation.
The Fauld Crater is still visible and is fenced of because of the fear of unexploded ordnance being near the surface.
The crater is 30 m deep and 230 m wide.
It is said to be the largest ever explosion to have occurred in the UK.
There is a lot about the Fauld Explosion on line and about the probable causes.
You can see the industrial plant that produces pink stuff in a couple of the photos behind the crater.
The village picture is Hanbury where you can park up and walk to the crater site across lovely countryside approx 1/4 mile.

13 Likes

@Clive.R RAF Stafford (as it was known) used to take some of the immediate family relatives of those perished in the RAF Fauld explosion on an annual basis; by way of remembrance and to allow them to pay their respects. Alas the need expired as their numbers sadly deminished through old age. :hugs:

1 Like

Thank you that’s interesting to know.
I remember my first visit there some years ago now.
There wasn’t a fence in place and you were free to get into the crater. Some locals rode their horses through it. I don’t know if something was found that had worked its way to the floor of the crater but a fence was erected to stop access.
It is of course a lasting memorial to 18 poor souls who were never recovered.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Pano-Mania #2 - (aka The Great Pano Thread)

Den Haag, Netherlands.

9 Likes

Greetings from Italy! :it:

8 Likes

Yet Another Morecambe Sunset, taken last night

10 Likes

Early morning flight around Bennerley Viaduct, Derbyshire with Air2s

10 Likes

Sunset at Castle Acre, Norfolk

13 Likes

Last nights Golden hour view into Manchester

13 Likes

Some more ridiculous City Centre Apartments that have cropped up in Birmingham. Right in the middle of one of the City’s major nightspots. Que the resident complaints of loud music from such venues as Birmingham City Council continues it’s crusade to strangle the city of any life.

12 Likes

That looks like a great site, just checked it out - amazing history. Thanks Andy :+1:

1 Like