The day (17/10/18) I lost the Inspire

No idea.

Upload the last big one.
You can make space in dropbox by deleting that last one.

I think I’ve found the flight I put on Airdata so I’ll share the one before and the two after.

Hopefully I’ve done it right now and there is something to look at :blush:

2 Likes

This looks like the flight ….

1 Like

I’ll start looking at the log data in detail … after I’ve eaten. :wink:

2 Likes

Almost at a conclusion …

2 Likes

No rush, I will be going to bed soon, up at 2am for work :cry:

Thank you, take your time and let me know in a day or two is great.

1 Like

I thought I had it bad stopping at 11 tonight.

1 Like

Just had twelve days off, have done nothing that I wanted too, to be honest I don’t want to go back, hoping for a Euro Millions win tonight :grinning:

1 Like

Both Callum and I have poured over the data and come to the same conclusion.

OK - this is strange ……

In the image above (onboard DAT file data), the altitude (red line) shows take-off at 170m (asl) and stops at 258m … so, 88m above take-off.
This agrees with the AirData that you posted … max altitude (291 ft) … so it was at max altitude when the onboard data stops.

The terrain was about 18m lower than take-off …. so unless Wales has trees of over 100m height … the Inspire was switched off before it descended.

Both the device log and the onboard log are identical … they both stop simultaneously

Yellow = device
Orange = onboard

(The slight difference is because I changed the height of the onboard so that they don’t totally merge … the gap is a parallax difference.)

This is really strange - because that means it looks like the Inspire just died.

20 satellites, good up and down links.
(From RC)

All data in the onboard just stops … at altitude
(From the Onboard)

Other data shows voltages, motor speeds, everything …. quite normal, and then blank.

I’m afraid the only conclusion we can reach is there was an onboard failure or lose battery? Can’t tell. Even with a lose battery I wouldn’t expect everything (voltages, etc) to just stop. It’s logging at high speed …. 60,000 data points over 5 minutes from being switched on until end.
At that speed one would expect to see some latent recording even with a battery coming lose … and if it was lose, then it probably wouldn’t still be in the Inspire when you found it.

I’m 99.9% certain it’s nothing related to Litchi.

That’s all we can say, really. Unexplained, sudden, onboard failure somewhere.

2 Likes

I guess the only other thing to add is ….

a) I’m really impressed that it’s in one piece!

and

b) I’d fly low and close for several batteries to see if it happens again … and be cautious. (Sorry - that’s not going to give you any confidence. :confused:)
Perhaps give that particular battery extra caution … even though I don’t think it’s battery related … per above.

2 Likes

Thank you Dave, very strange indeed, it was showing 47% when the screen froze and it was still tight in the Inspire and on with the strobes of it still flashing, I know they were red and green but can’t remember now if they were fast or normal, I was just relieved to have found it.
I did put all the batteries in today for a check on cells and times charged etc, the battery that was in it was still on 27% when I checked.
After finding it and turning it off I checked with one press and said to @Imleon it looks like it still has 25% left, one solid and a flashing second.
Thanks again for taking the time to look though, I think on my days off next week there are going to be some tests.
It looks like it’s a week for batteries, the Response alarm for the gage was beeping and flashing two hours ago, it’s high up on the house next to the bathroom window, I couldn’t get the ladders out of the garage because they are above my other car that has a flat battery.
I ended up having to remove the bathroom window and getting the daughters’ boyfriend to take it apart because he’s a foot taller than me :rofl:
Anyway, Thanks again, I will study it better tomorrow, have to be up in five hours so it’s bedtime for me.

1 Like

You’re not the only one, the £3 cables arrived today, I’m even impressed with how cheap they were.

I will do, I’m thinking some test flights on my next days off, it will take time to build confidence with the Inspire again now

Agreed - there was NOTHING apparently wrong. It just stopped.

Was the Inspire on or off when you found it?

2 Likes

It was on.

2 Likes

Hmmmm …… this doesn’t change my thinking … but I need to check the following DAT file.

Blimey - that’s a lot of data!! 380k data points!
By pro-rata … about 70 minutes … until you got to it?

Starts low down - so it must have switched on after impact.
Starts with no GPS position ……
I wonder how it turned itself back on?

If the battery is like the Mavic it is powered on independently of the Aircraft.

If battery were to disconnect, the aircraft would automatically start back up if it made contact again during impact.

Interesting thinking!

That kind of suggest a Ctl+Alt+Del scenario.