The development of Drone Scene continues!

We have launched another version of Drone Scene today.

First, the boring, but all important, bug fixes:

Minor bug fixes:

• When reporting an issue with a location, the link included in the report was still using the old format
  • Brand new GADC members would get an error if they hadn’t posted on the forums first, before adding a new location to Drone Scene
  • We now validate the date format when you are submitting a Flight Report to NATS. It needs to be entered in dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm (we now make sure it is!)

With those technicalities out of the way, here are the goodies :slight_smile:

Take a look at Drone Scene today and you’ll now find the following changes!

• When adding a new Location to the map we now ask you for details on site accessibility

— Requested by @alexmciver

• Updated the OpenGraph / OneBox icon

— Thanks @OzoneVibe for the new icon

Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 17.50.50

• Updated the mobile device desktop “bookmark” icon

— Thanks @OzoneVibe for the new icon

Also changed the text for the shortcut to simply say Drone Scene.

• Made the various sections of the /About page clickable links

If you’ve never looked at the /About page - now is the time: Where can I fly my drone in the UK? - About Drone Scene

It contains a wealth of information about what is available in each “layer” of data that you can apply to the map.

As we add more layers, this page naturally increases in length and often we need to refer people to specific sections or areas of that page.

That is now completely doable.

For example, here’s a link directly to the information about Class D airspace:

Where can I fly my drone in the UK? - About Drone Scene

Or a similar link directly to The Crown Estate Foreshore and Estuary information on the /About page:

Where can I fly my drone in the UK? - About Drone Scene

Simple, but oh-so handy.

• Removed the KP Index button

Because it’s pointless really, right?

But just in case anyone does still actually need it, we’ve removed the button completely but the KP Index is still available.

It’s now displayed with the other Weather information:

• Copy Share Location to Clipboard

— Requested by @milkmanchris

Looking at a specific area, at a specific zoom level? We’ve had the option to Share this exact view for a while now, but we’ve made it even easier now by adding a one-click button to copy this exact location view directly to your clipboard, so you can now paste it somewhere else:

• Zoom directly to your current location

— Requested by @Crackerjack

How does it work?

Click on this new button to zoom to your current location:

Your browser will probably pop up a message saying “Drone Scene is requesting access to your device location, allow/deny”.

This is standard practice and we do not store your location. It’s used simply to zoom the map to where you are right now.

Pressing that button again will zoom you back to whichever area of the map you were looking at before you zoomed to your current location.

• Distance measuring tool

— Requested by @Crackerjack (and @JoeC we know you’ve been dying for this one too!)

Want to know if your planned take off location is X amount of distance away from the nearest building?

Want to know if you can fly to the Isle of Wight and back again?

Click this new button to turn on the measuring tool.

What happens next then depends on whether you’re using a computer with a mouse or a touch screen device.

If you’re using a device with a mouse, simply click once on your starting point. A red line will then extend outwards and follow your mouse. The distance value is updated as you move the mouse around the screen.

You can then click anywhere else to extend the measure to become a multi-point line:

Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 17.36.24

Or, double-click to end that measurement and click somewhere else to start a new measurement.

Press the Measure tool button on the right hand side again to clear the map and return to normal.

On a touch screen device you won’t get a red line following your finger :slight_smile: So simply click once on the map with your finger to mark the start point and click again somewhere else to end it.

• DJI Geo Zones

In this update we’ve also added a new airspace map layer.

Against our better judgement, we’ve added the DJI GEO Zones.

This layer, much like the Class D layer, is off by default. You can enable it by selecting the relevant option in the menu.

The aim of us including this layer of information is to demonstrate just how restrictive DJI are and how wildly their “No Fly Zones” differ from actual Flight Restriction Zones.

For example, here’s some actual Flight Restrictions Zones:

And here’s everywhere that DJI will cause you problems, either by nagging you with constant warnings, requiring you unlock things to fly, or simply preventing you from taking off completely:

Another example from elsewhere in the UK:

And then DJI’s interpretation and again, their imposed restrictions on your drone.

They also do things like limit the maximum height you can fly in some places too.

Remember me mentioning that we can link directly to sections of the /About page now?

Well here’s a link which explains a bit more about these DJI GEO Zones: Where can I fly my drone in the UK? - About Drone Scene

This layer may come in handy if you intend to fly somewhere you’ve not been before.

We often hear stories of people heading out to locations, often many (many) miles away, only to find DJI are preventing them from flying there :man_facepalming:

Anyway, if you fly DJI drones, don’t forget to turn this layer off again after you’ve had a nosey - before it makes you too annoyed :confounded: :rage: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

We hope you enjoy these new additions and as ever, let us know what else you’d like to see added in a future update!

9 Likes