Hot on the heels of our update a couple of weeks ago that saw National Trust layers and Satellite base maps expand the feature set, we’re pleased to announce another update to Drone Scene!
Some notable changes in this release see the addition of a Search Box.
In the search box you can enter a street address, a town or a postcode, or a set of co-ordinates in a “lat,lng” format, eg:
You will also notice that we now display the co-ordinates of each Location that GADC members have added.
This should be ideal for using on other mapping applications and/or entering in to your sat nav:
Another great change that we’ve made is to cluster the Location markers.
Displaying several hundred markers on the map was making it look very cluttered:
We now cluster them in to neat groups!
You can simply click on a cluster to zoom in and expand it, or simply pan and zoom around the map and the clusters will automatically expand and contract as you go.
We’ve also changed the way we handle the adding of Locations when they fall inside a FRZ.
Previously you needed to tick a box to confirm the Location was not inside a FRZ. This was counterintuitive as some Locations inside FRZs can be flown perfectly legally with the correct permission having been obtained.
We now ask you for a few more details about the flight itself:
We also squashed a couple of bugs and made a coupe of minor changes elsewhere.
For the technically minded / curious:
Release notes (click to expand)
Added a Search box
– So you can quickly jump to an area
Added the co-ordinates of each Location in to the info-balloon
– And also in to the Details section below the map
Added the Category and Region to the Location Details
– Because we were displaying them in the page
<title>tag and nowhere else
Fixed an issue that prevented text from wrapping around an image
– When viewing a single Location, the description text was pinned to the right hand side of the screen instead of wrapping neatly around the image preview
Fixed an issue that caused the location marker to display somewhere other than where you placed it
– If you tried to drop a marker pin on a location that had a Layer element in the same place the marker pin would be added to the location on the map that you last clicked on
– Thanks to @OzoneVibe for working out how to replicate this issue
Improved the performance of the Location markers
– As loading 500+ markers was taking a couple of seconds. It now takes less than 0.3s
Cluster the Location markers
– In a heat-map type arrangement
Persist the viewing location when changing pages
– Clicking on Add Location used to reset the map back to the whole of the UK
– Thanks to @mockingbird71 for this Feature Request
Changed the way we handle Locations being added that fall inside a FRZ
– As some flights can be legally made inside a FRZ with the correct permissions having been obtained
– Thanks to @stubbyd for this Feature Request
Prevented layers being clicked on while adding a Location
– When trying to drop a marker pin on a location that was over a Layer (eg. Parks, FRZs, etc) the info-balloon was appearing (as expected) but what you really want to do was drop a pin on the map
Fixed a bug that meant photographs need to be uploaded again if the form wasn’t correctly completed
– Thanks to @OzoneVibe for finding this bug
As always, we hope you enjoy these new features and please do keep adding your locations to the map!