The development of Drone Scene continues!

A policy is merely a set of principles to guide actions in order to achieve a goal. They are nothing more than that. Without specific legislation to back up a policy, such as The Wildlife & Countryside Act then it has no weight in the eyes of the law. All they can do is ask you to abide by it and you can quite rightly refuse.

The same argument has been made for private companies that want you to carry on wearing a mask on their property after Monday 19th. Tesco will have that policy and they will ask you to ware one. They have a policy that says so and they can enforce it by either refusing you access or removing you from the store but a council doesn’t have that option because the vast majority of their land has implicit public rights of access.

As I understand it the only way you can be removed from public land is if your drone flying can be proved or reasonably suspected to have broken one of the actual pieces of legislation that protects the general public, land and/or wildlife and it’s habitat.

Simply put, policy is not law and therefore there is always a choice in whether to abide by it or not. Personally, if there are no bylaws or other legal restraints in place on public land I will fly where I want when I want. (Drone Regs and common sense prevailing of course;) )

“Yeah, fly anywhere, we don’t care”

I printed out the Wigan one and keep a copy in my drone case :rofl:

:point_up:t2:

And you are well within your legal rights to do so :blush: :+1:t2:

OK thanks for the responses, and I tend to understand, it is just comments such as found in the ‘Whats the point’ thread and also found in many other posts which which suggests to my mind, one is breaking the rules and one knows it.

’What local councils don’t know won’t hurt them’

So it just adds to confusion.

Anyway bed calls. I’ll sleep on it.

Adrian

You’re reading to much into things, you’re actively searching for reasons to prevent you from flying. Just check the air space using Drone Scene and follow the drone code. Avoid busy places, take off and land off the beaten track and you’ll be fine. If you’re challenged by anyone just apologise and move on. :+1:t2: theres a windmill near me that has signs all over the place saying no drones so I just parked up in the lay by along side the boundary fence of the windmills field and took off from there. Nothing they can do about it. I kept my 50m distance from the windmill and got some great shots.

Any ways let’s stop this conversation here as to not drag this thread to far off topic.

Drone Scene and Good 2 Go are your best friends so happy flying :slightly_smiling_face: don’t over think it just have fun :grin:

2 Likes

Quick note about policy as others have said its not law the only time you have to abide by it is if you’re contractually required or obligated to.

Good examples are:

Employees have to abide by their employers policy of possibly face disciplinary proceedings.

Venues/pubs etc have policies on dress and conduct abide by policy or you can’t come in/are asked to leave.

No bylaw is the key element. Their policy is just that, theirs.

I say this as someone who writes and implements organisational policy.

Ditto. I write SHE policies for the chemical company I work for.

I know I go off on one when it comes to peoples rights and standing up for them but there is also a very good argument for just apologising and walking away. The less the drone boat is rocked the less likely it is to sink.

That’s not me though :joy:

1 Like

Agreed :slight_smile:

If you could continue these discussion of legalities on the originating thread please, and we’ll keep this thread on the subject of Drone Scene features and announcements.

Now that sub 250gram aircraft have far fewer restrictions than heavier drones and now that A2 CofC, GVC and/or Article 16 Authorisations relax restrictions according to the weight of the drone is there any way to include areas on the Dronescene form to indicate what is being flow and what qualifcations the pilot has.

Or, indeed, is there any need for this information to help others who want to fly at the same location? :slight_smile:

They could add it to the description box if we prompt them here:

It’s what this box is for :blush:

1 Like

I thought about this for a few of my recent additions to DS, which were city centre locations so pretty much only suitable for Open A1 flights, although they could be flown with a GVC or PfCO Operational Authorisation. I decided against it because the regulations could change and then the advice could date quickly.

It may be better to pick it up in the comments thread after any post, although not everyone will read that.

3 Likes

Very much my thoughts on this info.

The information is worth adding as long as no one takes it as gospel that it’s okay to fly that drone at that location.

OK, not everyone will bother to give details and regulations may change.

Each location, when opened, has the opening line Landowner permissions not required, required or not known.

How about an automatically added opening line saying something along the lines of

“It is your responsibility to check that your proposed flight is legal in regard to your aircraft, qualifications and any uninvolved persons who may be affected”

The Drone Scene - “About” - already has :

Regulations are constantly changing. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying the same location.

3 Likes

A random example why you cannot rely on DS locations. Just opened Youtube and it suggested I might want to watch a drone flight around Lands End. Checked Lands End on DS and it’s close enough to an airport that you shouldn’t fly. I also noticed on DS there’s a pin in the same airport zone, “Land owner permission requirements unknown”.

Always check, just because someone else has flown there, doesn’t mean you can (legally).

Its not in the FRZ though.

Which one?

Minor point.

I recently changed my username and all the locations I submitted pre change are listed under my old username. Is this a known issue?

Yeah, it’s called “PingSpike not paying attention and forgetting a step when renaming an account” :blush:

I’ll update your DroneScene details later today :+1:t2:

3 Likes

Haha no worries :rofl: thank you.

1 Like

@ResilienceUAV I’ve now merged all your locations from your old account over to your new one.

Thanks for the heads up :blush:

1 Like