The Devil's Den - The Truth Uncovered

Hey folks,

This is the 4th episode in the “Avebury” series of videos. Episode 1-3 covers ‘Windmill Hill’, ‘West Kennet Long Barrow’, and the ‘Valley of Stones’. The next in the series will be of Avebury Henge and Stone Circle. The series will also cover The Sanctury and Silbury Hill, and more importantly, how they relate to one and other.

I hope you enjoy it! As always, feedback is very much appreciated :grinning:

P.S. the thumbnail may look like clickbait, but it did happen … twice :laughing:

This week, I visit The Devil’s Den, which is anywhere between 5000 - 6000 years old. It is located in Fyfield, near Marlborough, Wiltshire, England … and only a 1/2 mile east of previous video, The Valley of Stones. The Devil’s Den is classed as a Dolmen Burial Chamber today … but in this video I reveal the truth to what it actually used to be.

This video is part of a series that I have been making on Avebury, and all the amazing Mesolithic, Neolithic and Bronze Age sites in the area, which will cover Avebury Henge & Stone Circle, West Kennet Avenue, The Sanctuary, Silbury Hill, Valley of Stones, West Kennet Long Barrow, and Windmill Hill.

Getting to The Devil’s Den is not straightforward, by any means. There are many articles online describing various routes. Over the course of making this video, I visited The Devil’s Den and Valley of Stones over a dozen times. I have tried all of these routes. The easiest by far is walking from Gravel Hill Carpark, and it provides ‘permissive access’ for the entire walk (unlike other routes). The walk is about 1 mile, 20 - 25 minutes … or 5 on an e-bike :wink:

Car Park: Google Maps
Walking Route: Gravel Hill to The Devil's Den
History: The Devil’s Den, Marlborough, Wiltshire | The Journal Of Antiquities

11 Likes

Loving the Little planet video transitions. I’ve been educated again, superbly done and looking forward to the next one :+1: :+1:
Thank you.

Cheers Andy, glad you liked it mate :+1:
It was the first time with the Insta360 X3, so more stuff to learn :joy:

A couple of bloopers that didn’t make the cut :joy: The first one was posted last week, during filming …

1 Like

You’re getting good at this mate!

@clinkadink . Good one Chris. Was goin to ask how many takes did you do before you managed to get it through the hole! :flushed::rofl: Worth the wait mate enjoyed it :+1:

Two bits of advice though…

1. RAB shell jacket.
  2. Sprayway trousers.
    :rofl::rofl:

Cheers John, that’s great to hear! Thanks mate :+1:

I flew the hole with both my Mini 3 Pro and Avata. But crashed the 2nd time with my Avata, after gaining to much confidence after the first run. But then I went on to do it twice more successfully :joy:

I have a Berghaus Arran Gemini jacket, which cost me about £250 last year. That is wind, rain, weatherproof. But on the ebike, I had the hood down, which filled up with rain and ran down my back :persevere:

Defo need some rainproof trousers. Will look into them, thanks mate :+1:

What a cracking video and history of the Devil’s Den and other “stones” in the area. Well done.

Thank you, Shenar! Much appreciated :+1:

Well done Clink, thats better put together than most of the shit I watch on sky :+1:

Absolutely brilliant video. I’ve been thinking of doing something similar with my videos but I’m camera shy!!! Wouldn’t know how to present myself. But I keep thinking it would be awesome to do with what I know of what I’ve filmed so far :thinking:
Top job keep it up, subscribed :+1: :+1::+1:

Superb stuff! I especially liked the ‘reverse shot’ through the stones.

Cheers Darren! Glad you liked it. I am pretty sure everyone is camera shy at first. After you do it once, it’s fine. Go for it mate :+1:

Thanks Simon! That reverse shot was with the Mini 3 Pro. A nail biting moment for sure!! :joy:

You are too kind, Joe! And I don’t charge £70/month either … bargain :laughing::+1:

I like the style of this. Information mixed with enthusiasm and good flying . :+1: :+1: :heart:

You obviously enjoy creating as much as I enjoy watching.

Thanks Charlie. Glad to hear that you enjoyed it. Yes I am enjoying making these vids :wink::+1:

Pleased to join the party on your recent travesl.

Enjoyed it very much Chris - the creative side of your videos makes it worth watching time and again.

Thanks for putting history as part of your drones taking a little punishment from time to time. :flushed: :movie_camera:
:grinning:

Sorry Barrie, not sure how I missed your comment :woozy_face:

Thanks, very much! Glad you enjoy them. And great to hear the effort is paying off :wink: They seem to be taking longer to edit though :face_with_spiral_eyes: All good fun! Cheers mate :+1: