The Falls of Bruar - bottom to top and back again

A combination of AVATA and AIR3 Footage captured on a hot sunny spring day in early May 2024, the intent was to capture the true beauty of the area, to explore the gorge and see that which is not normally seen, for which the AVATA came in really handy - although I seem to have a fault causing some ‘jellification’ on some of the shots…

This is my 3rd edit, and the shortest one so far, the first two attempts were 15 and 12 minutes+! I may have another go to make an ultra short - su 4 minute - version, but it is hard to know hat to cut out…

The story begins outside the House of Bruar, where we fly low and slow up the gorge and under the railway bridge, before then relocating to the first footbridge in order to maintain VLOS.

Then a flight up the gorge towards the higher bridge, at least as far as reception and VLOS will allow with the AVATA.

Next, we switch to the AIR3 for a higher-level flight to the Upper Bridge and an overview of the gorge. Arriving at the upper bridge a few moments to reveal the waterfalls and then fly back down, switching once again to the AVATA for the gorge footage, and then again switching location for the final flight back to the take-off point…

The heat was definitely an issue, the AVATA goggles were constantly steaming up as I was using them, so rather than take any chances I tried to keep my distance from some of the obstacles, hence one or two bits of quick swerving and no underflight on one of the downed trees, as to crash in the gorge would have made the drone irrecoverable along with the footage…

Still, overall a nice chilled-out result… Oh, and for bonus points, keep your eyes out for the 2 dragonflies that fly close under the drone in the last 2 minutes…

Definitely a place I want to return to and have another go at, perhaps in the autumn, and with more time and all 3 drones, then we can really capture it in full…

22 Likes

Nicely done Suzanne :clap:
I can’t believe I live less than an hour from this place and have still never visited. Something I might rectify this weekend!

1 Like

Thank you… I have been itching to fly that gorge since I got the AVATA, I still don’t think I have got the footage that is possible to get, but it was what I got on the day, and with MiL I couldn’t spend any longer… Next time it will be hubby and me, and I will take as long as I need…

Enjoy… park up at the House of Bruar in the top car park - near the discount hall - then walk to the right of the hall between the hall and the next building and it takes you to the path, and off you go…

It can be steep and it can get busy on weekends, but there are no drone restrictions in place and it is a stunning area… There are 3 bridges, the railway bridge at the bottom and then a bridge you cross at the first main falls and another at the top falls, about a mile up the hill… Take water and comfy shoes, take your time, and enjoy…

1 Like

@AlbionDrones Wow Suzanne, it took me nearly as long as the video to read the intro! :rofl::rofl:

Great views and super flying as we’ve come to expect from you Sue. Nice one. :+1:

1 Like

Thanks Colin, much appreciated… Thing is, there are some bits I am very happy with, but the jellification and some of the less sooth AVATA bits are annoying me, I will just have to go back and redo it again sometime… :slight_smile:

1 Like

TBH Sue I didn’t spot them and I’ve watched it 3 times now! Maybe it’s time to visit Specsavers! :thinking: :rofl:

1 Like

Ok, perhaps its me being my usual hypercritical self… but I can see them, and that means I need to redo it at some point… I already warned Lee that we will be taking all 3 drones and spending a bit longer on it next time - this was done in about an hour including the walking in and out nd the flying - 3 AVATA flights and one AIR3 flight, next time we shall take our time and recce the flight path before flying, I did all this on the first takes - MiL sat next to me and not really enjoying the wait while I flew…

1 Like

Wow what a great location and spectacular footage. Love the low level flying back through the gorge and under the bridges. 5 stars!!:star2:

1 Like

Thank you Ian, glad it was enjoyed… The second time I have flown it, the first time under the bridges with the MINI3 Pro after only having had a drone for 7 weeks, this time at 20 months droning and with the AVATA I was a little more confident… Still think I can improve on it though tbh… will be going back for another go at some point…

You’re braver than me then. I’ve tried to do something similar but always found I get jerks with constantly pondering and altering the drone position. Well done anyway and I’ll look forward to seeing the next one!

1 Like

I meant me not you! :woozy_face: :nerd_face:

1 Like

The “jellification” was somewhat annoying and I don’t know the Avata but the beauty was somewhat spoilt (for me) by the azimuth changing the angle when the drone must have been banking without some sort of horizontal lock to keep the horizon horizontal. The overheads of the forest looked great - it was just flying up the brook that disappointed. Good luck - I wish I could be so brave!

1 Like

Thanks… the AVATA is an FPV style drone, so is usually used with no horizontal lock, it can be flown with it enabled, but not normally… I have run the footage through Gyroflow, which has smoothed it a bit, and will try another shorter edit, removing most of the jellification, but that’s all I can do until I can return again… Next time I think I will fly the gorge with both AVATA and MINI3 Pro, so will then have footage for 2 video, to see which is the more impressive ne…

Tried running the AVATA footage through Gyronflow, and compiled a new slightly shorter edit… What do folks think?

7 Likes

Wow! That is so beautiful! I’m very new to this.
But your video is soo satisfying to watch (a real mindfulness video). I was looks at the Avata 2 (to start) but I decided to go with the DJI mini 2SE which I love.
What editing software do you use please?
Thank you for such fantastic footage!
Regards Andy :blush:

1 Like

Thanks Andy, glad you enjoyed the video…

I have been drone flying now for 20 months or so, starting with a MINI3 Pro for the first 13 months, then adding an AIR3, and an AVATA1, in September and October last year - all of them have their individual uses…

I use DaVinci Resolve 18.6 free version for editing, it is an amazing program with more features than I even know about, but it allows me to learn while I am editing… There is a fairly steep learning curve, but lots of great video’s on YT showing you how to…

1 Like

Hi Suzanne, wow, what a brilliant video and testament to your flying and editing skills. Well worth a gold Blue Peter badge, a platinum one if they ever existed. I completely understand your frustration with the occasional ‘jellification’ artefact but don’t beat yourself up over it and spoil the moment. The effect is fairly minor, especially when considering the length of the video and certainly does not detract from your effort.

I have seen the same effect appearing occasionally with car dash-cams which, with certainty, is attributed to vibration of the car engine at a particular speed. With drones the four props are constantly rotating at slightly different speeds independently of each other to maintain the drone’s position. I’m surmising that at some point there is a time when all blades are in synchronicity causing enhanced vibration hence it being a transitory effect.

I’m only guessing and it might all be a load of guano. Have you tried different shutter speeds and messed with alternative settings even if the involves the use of ND filters. The higher the shutter speed the more noticeable the effect becomes. You’d have to balance shutter speed, frame rate, ISO etc. Just thinking out loud really but hope it helps.

2 Likes

Thanks Andy, appreciate the comment and sentiments…

Having given the AVATA a thorough firtle and removed the bumpers it seems to be back in full working order, took it out at the weekend for a test and got some nice footage…

Just need to go back and retry the Falls again, perhaps in the Autumn…

2 Likes

Another great Video. We don’t seem to have any nice places like down here near to Salisbury, just The nfz New Forest

1 Like

Thanks… yeah, same around Manchester tbh, have to travel to Scotland, Peaks, Lakes or North Wales for some stunning scenery…

1 Like