The Grey Arrows 3rd Annual Birthday Competition and Treasure Hunt

Was panicking about this one as dan ere there’s no depots and eddies are quite rare but…Found out yesterday by going onto the ES website that they have just won a new contract with Morrison’s and what do I have just a stone throw from me… yup! A massive Morrison’s distribution centre. :smirk: claiming 2 points please

7 Likes

My submission for item 25: Anything in The Guinness Book of Records. This is the Parish of Amesbury - the oldest continually inhabited area in the UK. Taken on Sunday 23 August 2020, TOAL at 51.173463,-1.794382 with permission obtained from Boscombe Down ATC to fly within their MATZ / aerodrome FRZ. One point claimed

Amesbury is a town in Wiltshire 8 miles north of Salisbury. It claims the record for being the most visited town in the UK due to a semi-derelict structure that lies within the parish boundaries and attracts around 1.5 million visitors each year.

Stonehenge is around 5000 years old but the site that secured Amesbury’s entry in the Guinness Book of Records is a modest clearing by a spring close to the River Avon and the A303 dual-carriageway. Blick Mead, threatened by plans for an A303 tunnel, has been excavated intermittently since 2005 and has been found to be the site of a settlement dating back some 10,000 years.

The woodland that surrounds the site extends to Vespasian’s Camp which predates the Roman Emperor after whom it was later named by some 550 years; it is an Iron Age hill fort.

Amesbury Abbey, on the opposite bank of the River Avon. dates from around 979 and was built on what may have been the site of an earlier monastery. The name Amesbury Abbey is now used by a nearby Grade I listed country house, built in the 1830s, which is currently in use as a luxury nursing home.

A local flying enthusiast, Horatio Barber, began operations in 1909 at nearby Larkhill and the War Office established the first army aerodrome there in 1910. The Royal Artillery currently operates various UAS from the site.

In 1917 an airfield was built south of the town at Boscombe Down and has long been associated with aircraft reasearch and testing as well as being an operational base. The airfield’s evaluation centre is currently home to Rotary Wing Test Squadron (RWTS), Fast Jet Test Squadron (FJTS), Heavy Aircraft Test Squadron (HATS), Handling Squadron, and the Empire Test Pilots’ School (ETPS).

tl;dr

A Wiltshire town has been confirmed as the longest continuous settlement in the United Kingdom. Amesbury, including Stonehenge, has been continually occupied since 8820BC, experts have found. The news was confirmed following an archaeological dig which also unearthed evidence of frogs’ legs being eaten in Britain 8,000 years before France.

Amesbury’s place in history has also now been recognised by the Guinness Book of Records.

BBC News Website 01 May 2014

8 Likes

Found a guy in Taunton, Somerset who restores all classic VW’s, just so happens to have a splitty sat on the grass beggin to be photographed. :camera:

Taken today, no surf board. :frowning: Not even one that blew off the roof :wink:

Claiming 2 points please

6 Likes

Hi Steve,
Look like you have the lead now, well done :clap:t2: :clap:t2:

1 Like

Thank you mate, :pray: but I’ve only a couple left. :sob:

2 Likes

Aber Falls Distillery near Bangor, Wales. Sadly their whisky isn’t quite finished yet. Photo taken on Monday afternoon.

I’m expecting the truck to be queried but will be very happy if it isn’t!

2 Likes

Photographed this afternoon, this is Penrhyn Quarry (Wikipedia), which has been repurposed as the Zip World attraction (Wikipedia).

Sadly on the day of my visit the zip lines were closed due to a landslide on the nearby A5.

I’ve shared a Kuula pano separately:

4 Likes

Nice one, :clap: :
It was on my list but I ended up doing one more local, 6 mile round trip against 288 miles, :smiley:

Cheers
Steve :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

@kvetner - we are agreed that a “Land Rover Defender” cannot be accepted as a “truck”.

Do you wish to revisit this item or leave the entry as is?

Leave it as it is please.

2 Likes

Full Leader-board updated.

[1] @McSteamy2010 [40 points]
[2] @Steviegeek [38 points]
[3] @macspite [34 points]
[4] @Neil79 [27 points]
[5] @kvetner [25points]
[6] @Fatboy [22 points]
[7] @Meondrone [20 points]
[8] @lee [17 points]
[9] @stevesb [14 points]
[10] @WeeJubya [13 points]
[11=] @scorps [8 points]
[11=] @JoeC [8 points]
[11=] @TonyDM [8 points]
[14=] @Drones-CL [4 points]
[14=] @anon52324101 [4 points]
[16] @ChrisC2 [3 points]
[17] @Jhdee [2 points]
[18] @Richmighty [1 point]

(E&OE)

A bit of jostling at the top. :+1:

Apologies to @TonyDM - it appears that his Cows in a field hadn’t been added to the leader-board. Now corrected.

5 Likes

I’ll be back …

6 Likes

Very tight at the top. Take your bets now please :joy::+1:

2 Likes

Think we should just call it a day there don’t you? :grimacing: weather is going to be rubbish anyway.

Thanks for all your entries guys :clap:t4::clap:t4: :rofl:

1 Like

You’re forgetting that there may be people that have already taken their pics/vids and are yet to enter them. :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

Need to be quick if they haven’t already started :smirk:

But it was good the last few weeks when I took most of my as yet unreleased entries … :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oooh holding back :wink: like it. I was planning on holding back but knowing me I’d delete them from phone/pc by accident :joy:

They can still get in 18 items in … so a potential 51 points. :+1:

Oh - you only have 40! :rofl:

1 Like

I’ll wait for your entries :wink: