The Grey Arrows 3rd Annual Birthday Competition and Treasure Hunt

Well, My Bank Holiday weekend plans to get at least 5 more treasures was scuppered, like all the best plans…
This time the weather was great… But my car blew a spark plug (I found out this morning, when the garage opened) on Saturday. So, if the weather holds tomorrow, I might be able to get another 2 or 3 in, but not all 5 I’d planned on! Dagnammit!

1 Like

I’ve just wasted a day and a tank and a half of diesel driving round the Hampshire coalfields trying to find a repurposed mine. But they are all thriving, In fact recreational lakes and wheatfields are being repurposed as mines to feed the insatiable hunger for steam coal for all the county’s preserved railways.

5 Likes

Claiming 2 points please

Uploading: DJI_0089-01.jpeg…

3 Likes

If two pictures are taken from the same location, for example from a flat, wide area of public footpath then one at least will be disqualified as the same three-dimensional space has been used for dissimilar photographs.

Understood.

But what if they have been taken, say, fourteen days apart? That is certainly not the same four-dimensional space. Is that allowable?

1 Like

21: A train entering/exiting a tunnel
Claiming 2 points please, powered by a steam locomotive
Severn Valley Railway, the 10:45 from Kidderminster
14th August at 10:50
Take Off Location: 52.368149, -2.282482

5 Likes

24: A UNESCO World Heritage Site
Claiming one point please
Pontcysyllte Aqueduct and Canal
15th August at 12:15pm
Take Off Location: 52.971706, -3.087804

4 Likes

@Steviegeek how far did you walk for the train shot? Looks to be no roads in site.

Nice shot though!

1 Like

Thank you :slightly_smiling_face:
Very pleasant walk one morning, about 20 minutes from car-park
I need the excercise these days :rofl: :smile:
Cheers
Steve

1 Like

Enjoyed your videos, apart from labelling Telford as “architect” rather than engineer :grin:

1 Like

True, engineer would have been better but he seems to have been all things to structures :grinning:

Thomas Telford FRS, FRSE was a Scottish civil engineer, architect and stonemason, and road, bridge and canal builder. After establishing himself as an engineer of road and canal projects in Shropshire, he designed numerous infrastructure projects in his native Scotland, as well as harbours and tunnels. Wikipedia

Claiming 2 points please :blush:

1 Like

Your man Brunel left you in no doubt of his profession:

Of course 140 years ago engineers were seen as something special. The term has been devalued now with parts changers of many trades being described as engineers. :frowning:

1 Like

Can we keep posts in this thread a little more closely related to the Challenge. please. :+1:

2 Likes

@TonyDM

We are sorry, but in your entry they are too far apart to be considered as “running alongside each other”.

Examples of what we interpret that as meaning can be seen in previous submissions for this item - here, here, here and here.

1. A motorway intersection
    M3 J6 Basingstoke 2.9.2020
    Claim 1 Point

3 Likes

13 A sewerage treatment facility.
Sandhurst, Surrey
Claim 1 Point

3 Likes

Good job I used company fuel :roll_eyes: the description was a little open to interpretation clearly I misinterpreted it…

1 Like

Just two days to go!

Is now a good time to mention the extra 3 treasure items that are required in the event of a tie?

6 Likes

(that’s a joke by the way)

1 Like

:disappointed: