The Grey Arrows 3rd Annual Birthday Competition and Treasure Hunt

Further to my comment re not being allowed to take off - and also my submission for item 24: A UNESCO World Heritage Site. Taken on Sunday 09/08/2020 at 14:55. Take off location below. No bonus point as I haven;t visited this area for drone photography before (but driven past many times when working)

(I would have tried for item 4, coos in a field but even though I shouted Lie down you b@s^^^ds at them in my best coo beastie wrangling voice they ignored me)

I had wanted to use the Inspire with the 14-42 zoom set at the telephoto end. I had planned the flight via Dronescene and Google Earth. Dronescene showed that the take-off area and flight path was neither NT land nor in the Larkhill danger area and FRZ.

DJI Go had different ideas and put up a big black box almost filling the screen telling me I was about to fly in a restricted area and did I accept the consequences. Repeated stabbings at the YES button did nothing, the other line of text just brought up an equally sized screen obscuring box full of terms and conditions that had no close button.

So I took off with the screen centre obscured, no access to the zoom or focus sliders and had to fly like a driver looking through a slit in an ice-filled windscreen. I alsp flew the Mavic Air using Litchi - which doesn’t seem to give a zoom control - but was even less happy with the resulting video. So zoom and pan is courtesy of my novice Resolve “skills”

Note: My planned flight was slightly awry. I WAS well out of the FRZ but I took a track a couple of hundred yards west of the track I had identified as being just outside the National Trust / English Heritage land.

So I flew over NT land. No one was in any danger as there was no idiot apart from myself taking pictures of the monument from a mile distant and south of the A303. One vehicle did come down the track, I assume the farmer in his LandRover Defender. Far from telling me to "git orf moi lan’ " he waved and smiled as I moved the H landing pad to the side of the track.

7 Likes