The Long Mynd, Shropshire - Added to Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty in West Midlands

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission not required.

Parking: 52.543644, -2.814280
TOAL: 52.554282, -2.844413

A walk up the stunning Carding Mill Valley and the Long Mynd in Shropshire. The views are nothing short of spectacular. The base area is National Trust, but at the top is not, but it is SSSI, so be mindful of wildlife.

Covering as much as 2,000 hectares (4,942 acres) of heather-covered hills with stunning views of the Shropshire Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and the Welsh hills, this is an important place for wildlife, geology and archaeology.

There are paths for walking, cycling and horse riding, you can even drive to the top of the hill to take in the views. In Carding Mill Valley there are excellent visitor facilities including a tea-room, toilets and car parking.

In Carding Mill Valley you can play in the stream, watch birds from the hide, pond dip and relax with a picnic; or you can simply use the Valley as your base for the day and head on up the hill for an adventure. You don't have to venture far out of the Valley to find your own piece of solitude on the Long Mynd.

The Long Mynd is an area of Common Land. It's cared for by a group of farmers, known as ‘commoners’, who graze sheep and ponies on the land. Learn about these 'Common Rights', which have been passed from generation to generation for hundreds of years. Discover how they have created a grazing pattern which has maintained this treasured upland heathland landscape and created a special ecology and habitat.

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 11/11/2023. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

6 Likes

Great photography from you again Chris,
:clap: :clap:

Thanks Steve :+1:

1 Like

Nice one Chris, do I sense a video coming on?

Sadly not John. I didn’t have the time (or breath) to capture it on video. But it would be a great site to film. Maybe when I am few years younger and lighter :wink:

1 Like

I’ve flown here too @clinkadink :grin: In the panos subforum, The Long Mynd, Shropshire.

A magnificent place to visit (I drove to the top!), and great fly around up there.

2 Likes

I’ve flown here too @clinkadink :grin:

1 Like