The ongoing saga of the fish farm

Signed

1 Like

Further information - and a reply from M&S. Several of @ash2020 videos too. Well done Andrew!

And the next actions of the protesters:

We felt that his email to us totally failed to engage with the major issues. We now plan to escalate our campaign in 2 main ways -

1. Friday the 13th of August 14.00-16.00 we will deliver our petition to the M&S HQ in Paddington London. Join the event here. We are shooting the next Ecohustler video. There will be a troupe of professional dancers in body paint dancing as wild salmon. There will be a circle of volunteer “zombie farmed salmon” dressed in pink. There will be a sound system, smoke machines and props. Please come down and join in the Save Our Salmon! Flash mob / dance off or forward this to friends in London who might be interested. If you can - wear salmon pink : )
  2. We are printing thousands of stickers (please see below). We are going to offer these to people who want to correct M&S salmon product branding

Hopefully this new salvo of activities will get our story into the media keeping the pressure up that salmon factory farming needs to change now - so keep your eyes peeled from next Friday.

Thanks so much for your ongoing support and hope to see you soon.

Matt Mellen started this campaign on the 38 Degrees Campaigns by You website. If there’s an issue close to your heart that you’d like to start a petition on, you can start your petition here.
2 Likes

Thanks Robert. Sadly I won’t be in London, but it should have a bit of an impact!

1 Like

Signed…

I have had an update email regarding the petition to demand M&S stop labelling farmed salmon as "responsibly sourced”.

Dear Friends,

Thank you once again for signing our petition! With your help and with the help of 38 Degrees (thank you Sarah, Megan and others!) we took our petition to the M&S head office in Paddington. We were met by Allan Ross the Deputy Head of External Communications.

The article about what happened and the video is on Ecohustler here - The Salmon Dance - M&S petition hand in event | Ecohustler

You can also see the video on social media -

Facebook - https://fb.watch/7z8OprMB1q/

Instagram - Ecohustler on Instagram: "115,000 signature petition delivered with dancing to the @marksandspencer headquarters in Paddington, London Follow link in bio to read the article over at the magazine... 🌏🐠🐟💙 #Salmon #Factoryfarm #Ecohustler #saveoursalmon #vegan #seaspiracy #viva #ocean #gaia #sustainability #regeneration #compassion #themoreyouknow #propaganda #falseadvertising"

Youtube - https://youtu.be/TQV5VCm7xgQ

Please can you help us once again by liking and sharing the video? When you share, if you can tag and / or hashtag (@marksandspencer, #MarksandSpencer, @ecohustler) that is awesome.

Marks and Spencer hope to ride this one out and keep on with business-as-usual without making any changes. If they see this video being widely shared they will feel more pressure and understand how strong our feelings are and realise that this issue won’t go away.

The factory farming of salmon is having devastating impacts off the coast of Scotland and to marine wildlife elsewhere in the world. It is not okay to label this highly dubious food “responsibly sourced”!!

If I can help with anything please let me know.

Kind regards,

Matt and all of us at Ecohustler

Matt Mellen started this campaign on the 38 Degrees Campaigns by You website. If there’s an issue close to your heart that you’d like to start a petition on, you can start your petition here.

2 Likes

Signed

1 Like

Sorry if I seem to be hijacking this thread but this seems relevant:

Hi All,

Have you watched the excellent documentary - Artifishal yet? It is about salmon farming in North America and offers a disturbing glimpse into what could happen in Scotland.

Having seen the film it is impossible to see how supermarkets can ever describe their salmon products as “responsibly sourced.”

You can watch the full film for free here -

Artifishal - the fight to save wild salmon | Ecohustler

Best wishes,

Matt

You are receiving this message because you signed the petition “M&S - come clean about the damage caused by your farmed salmon”.

1 Like

Thats great footage those poor fish that’s serious damage , should be looked into

1 Like

Trying to get the authorities to do something is what we spend a great deal of our time on. They are on a three line whip from the Scottish government to smooth the way for aquaculture to double by 2030. They will never take enforcement action.

Not at all Robert. Thank you for pointing out the film. We saw it at one of the premieres, in Fort William and it was quite a disturbing experience. There was a Q & A afterwards and Mowi’s Scottish CEO, Ben Hadfield dominated the discussion so that no-one else could get any questions in before running out of time. Then, as Maggie and I were leaving, our way was blocked by two burly fish farm workers who harangued us, with pointing fingers etc. and wanted to know if we were going to pay their wages when they lost their jobs. It was all very aggressive and horrible. Very informative film though.

Same old thing then money talks, do you have sea otters up there as when a pair of otters got into a local carp lake had very similar damage to many of the carp, Steven

Yes, we do have lots of otters. I’ve only seen them a couple of times myself.

I have lived next to a Salmon smolt farm for 11 years and after an expansion 2 years ago we have now lost ALL our wildlife. We used to have breeding Ospreys, Otters, Sea Eagles, Golden Eagles etc etc and now due to the pollution caused by this “family owned” farm all are gone. Not one single native fish has been seen for 2 years, we used to have a healthy population of wild brown trout and Arctic Char but now nothing at all. The loch is a stinking cess pool which I guess is what happens when you pour 1000 litres of FORMALDEHYDE directly onto the live fish 8 hours a day… EVERY DAY !! We have campaigned for Sepa to take action as they are the ones responsible for granting there licence but after over 3000 e mails Sepa have made the decision to allow this farm to “self monitor” and will no longer take any action against the company even after finding that they were “non compliant” in keeping records 2019-2022 which in its self is a criminal offence but if you have enough money in Scotland you can do as you please aparantly… This company doesn’t even have planning permission for there site… The fumes are so bad we are having to sell our house and move away… 11 years back breaking work re building our house to have to be forced out because of threats of being killed by employees and the threat of getting cancer from the fumes is now too much to take… https://twitter.com/saveourlochs

1 Like

This is the crap that is in every supermarket in the country… Not so tasty looking when you see how its produced… The barrels are raw formaldehyde…

This is what the loch looks like 2021… Not quite the crystal clear waters of Scotland that everyone thinks of !! This is 100m from the cages and this is what there boat is stirring up for 20’ below the boat… Because of overstocking and vast amounts of chemicals in a closed loch they cant even grow there own fisf… Over 10 dustbins full of dead fish are removed every day all diseased and almost unrecognisable as fish covered in fungus and open sores… Its ok though they scrape all that off before they put it in lovely packets for Sainsbury’s finest !!!

1 Like

And of course now SEPA have lost all their data concerning testing and monitoring because of a “cyber attack”. How convenient. What organisation would not have off-line backups of data?

1 Like

They may have lost all their data but I still have every single thing they sent me and everything that I sent them… Including daily photo evidence of Kames Fish Farm using up to 10 times their licence amounts of chemicals. There were 68 reports in 1 month last year to Sepa hotline to report the illegal use of Formaldehyde but not one single visit from Sepa… But its all good they employ TWO guys to work here so easy to justify destroying this and many more freshwater lochs…

1 Like

One day that evidence will be very valuable.

1 Like

I hope so Andrew… Apologies for hijacking your post :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

No worries Gordon. You’ve got to do something while waiting for the rain to stop. Hope you give us more of those fab loch shots soon.

1 Like