The Quad Show, Show off what you've built

This FPV virus is spreading like wildfire in GADC these last few weeks!!

:mask:

You kept that build quiet @Slim - share some details my man!

3 Likes

Its my first build. I was watching youtube over Xmas (very bored) and came across a UAVfutures video ("Gooooddayyy!) on building a cheap $99 FPV and thought I’d have a go. Needless to say most of the parts specified were no longer available and I started having to buy/source alternatives, usually at a higher price. It has occurred to me several times it would have been cheaper to buy a Nazgul or similar, but hey, it has been a good project to do and I’ve learnt (and spent) loads. New Radio TX16s was interesting to get my head around, not to mentions Betaflight. Googles came a couple of weeks ago, so although I can’t wait to fly it, at the same time I don’t want to crash/trash or lose it. I’m already eyeing up another sub 250g build :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Time you took off that mask and get building Rich! :rofl:

2 Likes

Just make sure you have a spotter for “when” you crash it. They’ll be able to point you in the direction it crashed lol

Don’t worry about crashing it mate they’re built to be crashed lol

3 Likes

F450 frame with 1000kv Motors, 3s 3600mah lipo, SimonK 30A ESC, 8x4.5 inch props.
with a self-built flight controller, the first one was an Adruino Uno with a GY-521 MPU-6050 Module 3 Axis Gyroscope + Accelerometer, the second one is an STM32 Blue Pill, with GPS, Compass and an Arduino UNO telemetry system. It would fly waypoints, had altitude and GPS hold and RTH.!

10 Likes

Now that looks like a technical build lol

4 Likes

I’d say that in the fixed wing world that’s the equivalent of building a V-Twin engine starting with a cube of aluminium. Very, very impressive. :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

5 Likes

Now this is my kinda shit!

Where do I sign up??

6 Likes

Thank you very much @Nidge much appreciated :+1:

1 Like

Some Videos of the beast!!

3 Likes

What a nice idea!
Here are the builds completed over the last 6 months (thanks, lockdown!).

• Whoops

65mm - 1s - Caddx Ant

75mm - 2s - Caddx Ant

85mm - 2s - Caddx Ant

85mm - 2/3s - RunCam Split Nano 3

95mm - 4s - Caddx Tarsier

• Freestyle

2.5 inch - 3s - RunCam Phoenix Nano

3 inch - 4s - Caddx Tarsier v2

3 inch - 4s - Runcam Hybrid 2

• Long Range

4 inch - 4s - Runcam Hybrid 2

10 Likes

Wow someones been busy! Lol some awesome builds there! :ok_hand:t2:

I think I’ve been bitten by the bug - after all of 3 flights with my iFlight Titan DC2 under my belt, tonight I finished building its 5" big brother for when I feel confident to step up my game a bit :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Looks awesome, they look like some pretty aggressive props you’ve got on there lol

Another digital setup, no stopping them, taking over the world :laughing:

2 Likes

The props are just temporary pending delivery of some Nazgul ones - these are off my son’s old Wizard X220S

1 Like

How long did it take you to build @MartG1960 ?

2 Likes

Difficult to say, as most of the time was spent waiting for parts to arrive - if I’d had everything needed to hand it could easily have been built in an afternoon

4 Likes

I look forward to a new thread, detailing the build :wink:

3 Likes

Well I finally plucked up the courage this afternoon and took “Covid-19x” out for a crash or three… First flight didn’t go well - it took 10-15mins looking for it, as spotter wasn’t paying attention. Then realised one of the receiver antenna on a zip tie was chopped down a bit. I need stronger less bendy zip ties. The second flight was better but I think I knocked Acro mode on (I had when I took googles off and looked) as it started spinning wildly, until I hit the kill switch. The result was a battered li-po. Do you guys use battery protection of some form or other as this could get expensive? The subsequent flights were slightly better - still crashed it every time though. I kept finding I would be moving my head to where the sound was coming from rather than focus on the google image. It going to take a little bit of getting use to. Blimey its quick though. No more than just under half throttle for me. I tried air mode a couple of times, but wasn’t convinced when I heard the motors suddenly start screaming, each time resulting in a crash. I called it a day when I finally broke a prop. All in all it wasn’t as bad a session as I was envisaging. Lots of lessons learnt. I need to find somewhere better to fly.

5 Likes