The Ring of Brodgar - Added to Iconic Landscapes and Ancient Sites in Scotland

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission not required.

The iconic landscape of Orkney is something truly special nowhere more so than the Ring of Brodgar, which although not in an FRZ does have a No Drone sign on one entrance. As the site is run by Historic Scotland I decided to fly as soon after dawn as I could arrive - about 545am to ensure I was not going to disturb others visiting the site - and to TOAL away from the site itself, using in this instance a layby to the East of the site - where there were no 'No Drone' signs…

The ring is so large that even filming from 390ft it will not fully fit inside the lens of the MINI3 Pro, so a wideangle lens would be a good idea.

Watch out for midges and ticks, I picked up a tick on my back at the Stones of Stennes a few minutes after this, thankfully hubby managed to remove it safely…

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 26/06/2023. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

4 Likes

As grand a start as you could wish for!

1 Like

Thanks… bit nervous now though, how do I top that edit and footage…

1 Like

I didn’t have the weather when I was at Brodgar and 0545 is a tad early for me!

1 Like