The WHY DO YOU FLY? Poll

I was always fascinated by drones and my uncle used to drag me to Beeley Moor in the early sixties to fly his fixed wing with the little petrol engine, 12 months to build and 5 minutes from launch to crash if we were lucky, happy memories but the modern drone, I have a P4, are so usable for everyone and the pictures and videos I take and see on this site are breath taking especially the self deprecating ones where we’ve crashed or something has gone wrong there’s so much fun to be had and getting out into the fresh air meeting people who mostly show an interest especially as I use my 12.9” iPad as a monitor it’s so clear, we’ll sorry for rambling that’s why I drone, no pun intended :yum:

2 Likes

I always love the view from above…I could feel like I’m a free bird souring up high…

3 Likes

Hi John! Welcome to GADC! :+1:

Thanks…pleasure is mine…being invited here…

1 Like

My reasons for buying a drone initially was just for fun but the commercial applications of these birds are growing by the hour!. I’ve learnt so much from the on line community about video and photography I just want to create, nothing more satisfying than planning a shoot, getting to the POI, coming home and creating. A real buzz man

1 Like

I’m fascinated by technology. The ability to control something which is flying, so precisely and filming whilst you do, is a great experience. Man has always dreamt of flying like the birds. This is another step towards achieving just that. The headset is a further step. Where next? More please.

2 Likes

Photos, Fun, Tech and PfCO

Fun with the odd photo and video footage, the technology has come so far since my nitro helicopter days.

7 Likes

Not far off the fleet operators badge then😀

You might want to post that pic in The Great WHAT DO YOU FLY? Poll thread … and complete the poll. :wink:

To take up a new hobby.

Always been interested in both photography and videography through past projects with my dad but never went that next step and took it up as a hobby for me.

Always had an interest RC stuff too. Mostly with wheels but have had a want for something airborne for yonks. So sat tight, watched the Mavic Air get launched, watched tons of reviews and various vids with my wallet screaming at me to go get but as soon as I’d heard the rumours re Mavic 2…I sat tight and 2 weeks a go went out and got it. So pleased. Loads to learn mind :slight_smile:

Now I can have a crack a photography / vids from the air. Best of both!!! #Newhobbyahoy

3 Likes

I’ve been a serious stills photographer for many years, and about 4 yrs ago became aware of what drones were able to do, photographically. I watched their spec get better & better, then when the MP2 arrived with its 1" sensor I thought now’s the time to jump in. So I did a one day one-to-one course, having never flown a drone before. I then bought my MP2 a month ago, and just can’t get enough of it. My camera club have now asked me to give a talk on drone photography, so when i have built up some experience I’ll put a presentation together for them. Roll on the better weather!

2 Likes

Hi Roger / @Liberator - and welcome to GADC.

If you have a moment, perhaps you’d create an introduction post in the #introductions category?

Also, don’t forget to add yourself to the Map of Members by following the How To guide.

I’m a photography enthusiast, with no experience in flying yet. Just bought the Holystone HS720e and would love to get out and start flying. I live in Medway, Kent and any recommendations for interesting locations to learn would be really helpful.

For me it’s mostly for fun , I’ve always wanted to fly RC planes / helicopters but never had the confidence or skills but then drones came along and with lots of guidance from you in here and @chrisjohnbaker as my mentor I finally got a drone and got flying so mainly for the fun but also taking videos and pictures .

Never been one for cinematics but drones have created a whole new medium to work with and find perspectives that weren’t previously possible or accessible to get.

It’s a fun challenge combining the filming with the technical aspects of flying.

There are amazing clips and photos from all over, it’s a stunning piece of technologies and mild-blowing what some people can do with it

I wanted it for fun and photography and to view areas I could not get access from the ground.

Friends say I have it for perverting zooming in on sunbathers as if I would :sunglasses: I just say have you forgot where we live :cloud_with_rain::cloud_with_rain::cloud_with_rain::cloud_with_rain::cloud_with_rain::cloud_with_rain:

I love walking and cycling and photography so having the drone gives me another perspective.