Thermal fox watching

Put the M2EA up last night and seen these two nearby.
The fox seemed puzzled about the noise and where it was coming from.
I do like to see the heat signature left when an animal has paused then moves off.

4 Likes

Hi Kevin - what altitude and distance were you flying at for the opening shot ?? Trying to relate it to the lost dog SAR flights I do - thanks :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Approx 35 to 40mtr high and much the same in distance on the opening shot and the lowest was about 20mtr.
The image is much clearer on the smart controller/screen than when uploaded on line and even better on a larger TV screen. (see my post about using a 12v TV)
Perfect bit of kit for SAR etc and it’s good fun doing field training by searching for a small pre placed (by someone else) heat source and trying to find it.
Flying in the dark is a bit un-nerving and takes a while to get used to it.
I am also involved with lost dog SAR, although yet to use the thermal for a dog search.

John, this short video may give you a better idea as I know it starts off at 60 -65mtr altitude and the foxes were 100mtr away, filmed in total darkness.

Many thanks for that Kevin. Its certainly is an excellent piece of kit. The improved resolution of the M2EA over the M2ED makes a massive difference. I’ve used the M2ED and was not that impressed with it. Even though it was good, finding small dogs was not that easy. The M2EA looks to be very impressive and probably the best value for money thermal drone with decent resolution. :+1: :+1: :+1:

Just one more question - is it geo fenced like most other DJI drones ??

Come on John, you know the answer to that one :smiley:

Shhhhh - I’m desperately trying to find a reason not to get a M2EA :joy: :joy: :joy:

Seriously though - I know the M2EA doesn’t use the DJI Go 4 app - was hoping the app used for the Enterprise drones may have something a little easier to use on the geo fencing issue :man_shrugging:

No, sorry John, it’s baked in to both the firmware and the app for every single model drone they’ve made in the last 5+ years :confused:

Damn it - problem is the alternatives without geo-fencing and 640 pixel resolution thermal are few grand more expensive :frowning_face: :frowning_face: :frowning_face:

Also got my eye on the Swellpro Splash 4. Their site indicates a thermal camera option so I’ve requested more details as it appears to be unavailable yet. A waterproof thermal drone without geo-fencing and high wind resistance - the holy grail of drones for dog SAR in this country :man_shrugging: :grin:

As already said it is geo fenced that could be a problem.
Here’s another video taken from a fair distance.

But, those “Geo Fences” don’t show up in thermal images … :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: