Thornhill Lakes, Lechlade - Added to Lakes and Reservoirs in South West

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission not required.

Parking & TOAL: 51.699347, -1.712372

The western half of Thornhill Hill Lakes are within RAF Fairford FRZ, so take care if you fly here.

A collection of sustainable, bespoke homes set within their own private nature reserve at The Lakes in the beautiful Cotswolds. Each home looks onto outstanding natural beauty of wild, plush greenery, watercourses and stunning lake views. The Bowmoor design offers the owner luxury accommodation spread over 3,902 sqm and two floors. Optional Cantilevered panoramic windows and roof terraces amongst the many other bespoke options available.

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 23/08/2023. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

3 Likes

I would exercise caution flying at the location you have specified. The USAF are extremely sensitive about drones around their FRZ and take incursions very seriously. A few weeks ago I requested (and was given) permission to fly just to the west of the location you specified at the sailing club, which falls in their FRZ. Over the next few days I had two calls from the USAF Military Police asking if I was currently flying a drone at the lakes as unauthorised drone flights had triggered their surveillance systems - it wasn’t me flying at that time to be clear. I would strongly recommend phoning the published numbers for RAF Fairford or RAF Brize Norton before you fly in this area, even if you intend to stay outside of the FRZ. I would also say that RAF Fairford are very helpful if you want to fly inside their FRZ if you follow the correct procedure and contact them for permission. While technically you don’t need permission to fly in the Brize Norton CTR, they really appreciate a call in advance so they know your intentions and can confirm there won’t be any low flying aircraft in the area.

I disagree. When needed, I contact the ATC all the time, in this instance, it is not needed.