Titan Atlas antenna mod + car kit

I used to go to our local arena here in Corby back in the early 80’s. I got invited to train as a wrestler but declined. I broke enough bones playing rugby in Kenya.

NO WAY!!!

Nicely done mate :smiley:

Due to arrive Friday/Saturday @PingSpike where did you get the plastic ply tools?

I bought one heavy duty set (that bottom cover is a bastard to remove!):

And a couple of cheapy ones, with the intention of them being use-once, just for this mod:

and

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mobile-Phone-23-in-1-Repair-Tools-Kit-Spudger-Pry-Opening-Tool-Screw-driver-Set/173219058011?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Which is just as well as I snapped one clean in half!

:+1:

Thanks, I’ll order and get on with the destruction, I’ve watched the video which is very helpful.

Hardest part was getting the bottom cover off, you need eight pairs of hands.

The fiddly part was getting plugging the new antenna cables in to the circuit board. They need 100% alignment before clicking in nicely. They’re so bloody small though, and there it not a lot of room to get fingers etc in there too. Also, go gently when removing the old ones, I’ve heard horror stories of people pulling the entire socket of the circuit board! I used one tool to try and hold the base down to the board, and another tool to prise the cable off :+1:

Thanks for the heads up, my eyes are not what they used to be so, I’ll take my time.

The tools arrived this morning, super fast delivery.

1 Like

They look better quality ones than I baught when I did mine. Rich is right though that bottom plate is a bitch to get off but once your in and you stick to their how to vid you’ll be fine.

I loaded the video on the laptop in front of me and paused it at each ‘stage’ of the dismantle.

This guy has clearly done a lot of these, I had to pause it a lot :blush:

That’s exactly what I had planned to do, I don’t want to stick the tool in the wrong place. :nerd_face:

“They are here” :grin:

I don’t know what the blank panel on the left is for? The Controller internal RF cables are still sealed in the bag. How else would this have been used @PingSpike without fitting them?

Nearly missed these

1 Like

SHINY :sunglasses:

I do :cry:

You have somehow gotten your hands on the updated “Switch” faceplate :open_mouth:

This new face plate allows you to convert your omni-directional Atlas, in to a Switch - which means you can fit the directional Cyclone antenna to the front if you wish (you’ll have to buy that part though).

Best of both worlds… I’m slightly jealous :slight_smile:

This kit has never been used mate, despite what it said on eBay, this is all brand new - newer even than mine, as mine never came with the Switch upgrade panel.

By the way, seeing the second pic just reminded me. There is nothing in the video tutorial about that bracket in your pic (the one above the little antenna fly leads) - it needs fitting to the tops of the peices that protrude from the antenna. There wasn’t enough thread sticking out of mine to keep the locking washers too, I had to ditch mine.

I guess we all know what you’re doing this weekend then :slight_smile:

Was there a mains charger in the box too?

I see what you mean about the bracket and not enough threads just tried it, so a bit of luck on my part getting this then you recon.

Thanks for your pictures they really are good to refer to, now if only I can find out what has happened to my audio out on this laptop since the last update this morning.

Yes, I just need to find an adapter for it, I’m sure I had one kicking around in the workshop/office

Yeah, definitely :+1: :+1:

I think I’ll make a start on it shortly…

1 Like

It’s all done now, I’ll try it out some time today. I found it very easy to do this mode due to the excellent video and PingSpick’s pictures.

1 Like

Testing it…:satellite: gotcha!

1 Like