Titan Atlas antenna mod + car kit

This mod occurred to me shortly after the RC mod was finished. It may also serve as a ground station of sorts, the idea came to mind because I tend to forget critical bits.

1 Like

Damn!!

That’s a brilliant idea :+1: :+1:

I wonder if the suckers on my car mounting kit would stick to the lid of my hard case :thinking:

Hmmmm… thanks @Njoro - crackin’ idea :smiley:

Well do they?

I’ll be ordering the car kit next week although I was thinking of buying RF cable and connectors to make up my own.

No, not even close, falls straight off :rofl:

Not to worry, I’ll stick with attaching it to the van roof :slight_smile:

Was worth a try though…

By the way I can’t find the car kit, have got a direct link please?

The car kit isn’t listed on their web site for some reason.

Email info@maxxuav.co.uk and he’ll send you a PayPal invoice. Very safe, both @Ashmav and myself have purchased accessories from this guy via email/Paypal :+1:

Thanks mate.

1 Like

Yup ask and shall will receive. :wink:
I basically said to the guy I’m looking after the car kit and sent him a YouTube link along with it and he said no problem. had both atlas and car kit delivered within 3 days.

“Sent an email enquiry” should hear tomorrow I hope :crossed_fingers:

There’s pretty good at getting back but I did see in there website delivery’s won’t be until the 12th April? From what I recall Around that date anyway

I think he must be away, I’ve sent a couple of emails over the last few days which have had no response yet, and like you say, he’s normally pretty good :+1:

Reminder:

My main concern here was not so much the RSI my neck might suffer through the lanyard but the fact that when the CS is attached, if I place the whole lot down on a surface somewhere the weight of the CS on the front tries to bend the antenna mounts out of the controller :open_mouth:

Honestly, if flexes an alarming amount - something I wasn’t comfortable with at all.

I ordered a Phantom 4 bracket, which is kinda T-shaped, it has an extra piece of metal on the back:

Here it is once fitted in place.

You’ll see it rests nicely on the back of the Mavic Pro controller.

Well, in for a penny…

Superb amounts of Araldite epoxy resin to hold this bad boy in place.

Yup, I’m without doubt past the point of no return now!

The end result (I’m hoping, when its set tomorrow) is that all the flex on the weakest parts will be gone and I can rest the entire unit down without hearing a crack that would make me cry :cry:

Also, added bonus, I now have one of these spare:

I’m debating attaching it to the lid of my case, ala @Njoro case lid mod :+1:

I see what you mean, here is my antenna in balance I don’t even need to print the bracket any thicker but I will.

I’m more than happy to print one for you too just to see what it’s like.

1 Like

I agree it’s a little to heavy to mount the atlas on the Rc. To much wobble for my liking.

@PingSpike If you’d like me to print one for you let me know.

1 Like

Thanks for the offer @Njoro, very kind of you :slight_smile:

Due to the way I’ve mounted my CrystalSky though (see post # 9 above) I can only ever have the lanyard attach to the very front.

Which is a complete :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: for the lanyard balance I tell ya!

Ok no problem.

I’ve been looking at it again this evening, wondering if could attach the lanyard to the top of the CS somehow.

I like a bit of epoxy resin as much as the next guy, but I draw the line at sticking some on my CrystalSky :smiley:

I’ll ponder some more…

1 Like

Update…

The t-shaped bracket that I resin-glued to the controller worked a treat. Zero flexing with the CS attached to the front and the Titan attached to the rear, problem solved :+1:

IMG_0810

I flew with this setup for about 45mins yesterday.

It is ridiculously heavy :frowning:

Too heavy on the lanyard so you end up holding the weight of it all. Arms like Popeye now :muscle:t2:

So I think I’m going to order another car kit (I was in the car yesterday, left the car kit in the van!) and I’ll either leave the second car kit in the car, or I’ll mount it to the case like @Njoro has :+1:

The antenna works a treat though. I was up by the business park on the canal which has offices on one side and posh flats on the other side. I counted 67 Wi-Fi access points before I got fed up counting them:

Tried to fly without the Atlas and the interference was absolutely crazy! Landed again and fitted the Atlas and while there was still some interference it wasn’t a patch on how it was without the amplified antennas.

Still too blood heavy to use with a 7.85 CrystakSky though… I can see why @My-Mavic-My-Rules opt’d for a tripod mount!

3 Likes

When I saw the earlier pics, I thought (a) it looked frigging heavy and (b) the arrangement doesn’t make attaching a lanyard at a point of good balance possible.

There are certain benefits to just the standard RC and a light phone. :wink: