To PfCO, or not to PfCO - that is the question!

If you fly for pleasure and get home review your pictures/video and decide you could sell it, then you are legal as at the time of take off you had no intention of selling your footage.

1 Like

Thanks Lee, had a good go to day of lazy 8. Will practice again tomorrow and keep at it.
Barry

It comes to you in the end. Look at your map screen and you’ll see your pattern

Do you need to do the figure if 8 with the front of the drone always pointing forward?

Yes. It’s good for gettng your left/right orientation. Aim to be precise rather than fast. Pick a marker such as a fence post and try to get your crossover to happen over that post each time. Do it at different heights and distances from you too.

It’s nothing to be scared of it just needs some practice. There will likely be other msnouvers too such as circles, squares and so on. The important bit is to be able to do them both ways so as not to develop a bias to left hand or right hand turns.

3 Likes

Your missing me already @mickydd :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: lol
And well done with the pfco :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks Lee

Hey Barry, sounds stupid but make sure you know how to take off and land manually rather than using the DJI buttons.
and practice landing on a spot through eyes sight rather than on camera.

Thanks Lee,
Set out some cones and have been practicing lazy8s not as eazy as you think but getting there.

2 Likes

How does obtaining PfCO affect ability to operate commercially in other countries? Realise it’ll vary, but is it typical to accept other countries qualifications… e.g. like drivers licenses tend to work?

Hi Colin

NO in a word.

I thought similar until started looking into it for a possible job in Greece. Spoke to a friend who works for a large drone company and has a lot more experience than me abroad and he said yes it varies but for instance Greece you may have to take their own exams! and grease a few palms.

Each country is different and depends on what you are doing so need to research each place
Depends on what you fly, if small like the M2P you may get away with saying for personal use. I didn’t say that though

1 Like

With the goal to go live on a boat in the Caribbean, I’m thinking charterers would quite like a video of them on their yacht - could be a good income boost. Probably not the most regulated situation but if I can be above board I’ll try.

Certainly the best place to be when flying from a boat. :rofl:

1 Like

Need to check which Aviation Organisation is responsible for the airspace in that area.

From Wikipedia The Eastern Caribbean Civil Aviation Authority ( ECCAA ) is the civil aviation authority. http://www.eccaa.aero/

Quick search on google shows the ECCAA didn’t find any rules regarding flying of drones in which case, by the looks of it there is no requirement for a PfCO equivalent at the moment.

1 Like

Nice! Yeah I think it’s just a case of pay the appropriate fee and get a permit.

Ha! If it’s anything like sailing between Caribbean Islands, it’s a “jobs for the boys” kind of thing … or it was in early 90s. So many little offices and you go around and around getting slips of paper in return for money. Harbor, Police, Immigration … most of whom were permanently busy or at lunch … Anguilla being the winner in the total time/money taken.

Varies nowadays - will have my first experience of clearing in/out when going to Dominica from Guadeloupe in July. Trouble is if you can’t find the person to clear in with, you can’t go ashore (beyond looking for them) - can get in a lot of trouble if you do.

I know Barbados are very jittery of Drones, and insist on getting Permits and Permission to fly on the Island.
I did fly on several of the other Caribbean Islands with no problem.

I did. #Oops

Go ashore, or get in trouble? :slight_smile: